Rotor Analysis -- Big deformation problem

In summary, this person is trying to do a rotor analysis on ansys and is seeing a deformation of 100mm at most of the modes. They are not sure why this is happening and are looking for advice on how to change it so they can see the "real value."
Stef
Hi everyone,
i am currently doing a rotor analysis with "modal analysis" on Ansys and even though my rotor's specs are L=145mm D=10mm and the rotating velocity is 10000rpm i get a deformation of 100mm at most of the modes. I have read that this might be cause of a mass-normalized value but i am not sure if that's the case. Does anyone know why is this happening and if so, can i change it so i can see the real value?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 417
Engineering news on Phys.org
Modal analysis only gives you the eigenvectors. The absolute magnitudes mean nothing at all, only the relative magnitudes are significant. I suspect that this is what you are seeing; I've seen it myself with FEA modal analysis.

Yes it looks like it. Maybe I have to use some other way. Thank you anyway.

You speak of wanting to see the "real value." The difficulty with that is that there is no "real value" until you specify the excitation. As long as you analyze an ideal, perfectly balanced rotor, there is not way to evaluate the vibration amplitude; it is indeterminate.

Consider a simple example to clarify this situation. Consider a mass M on a spring with constant K, with position described by x. The equation of motion is
M*DDx + K*x = 0
where D = d/dt.
As you know, the solution is x = A*cos(omega_n*t) + B*sin(omega_n*t)
where
omega_n^2 = K/M
But, and this is the point, A and B cannot be determined without initial or boundary conditions. The solution just described is called the transient (homogeneous) solution. You may wonder why it is called the transient solution when it clearly persists forever.

In the discussion above, damping was omitted, but in all real systems, damping is present. The inclusion of positive damping of any type (viscous, V^2, dry friction, hysteretic, etc) will cause this solution to disappear as the time becomes large.

Now, if we put an excitation term on the right side of the equation, the steady state (particular) solution will have a definite amplitude, but the homogeneous solution is still of undefined amplitude. In many cases, we simply say that enough time has elapsed to cause the transient to disappear.

That was very helpful thank you very much for your explanation. Have a nice day.

1. What is rotor analysis and why is it important?

Rotor analysis is a process used to study the behavior of rotating structures, such as turbines or motors, under various conditions. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand the structural integrity and performance of these rotating systems, and make improvements or design changes as needed.

2. What is the difference between small and big deformation problems in rotor analysis?

Small deformation problems refer to cases where the deformation of the rotor is small enough to be considered linear, while big deformation problems involve significant changes in the shape and behavior of the rotor. Big deformation problems are more complex and require advanced analysis techniques to accurately model and predict.

3. What factors can cause big deformation problems in rotor analysis?

Big deformation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including high rotational speeds, unbalanced forces, and changes in the material properties of the rotor. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How is rotor analysis used in practical applications?

Rotor analysis is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as designing and optimizing turbine blades in the aerospace industry, improving the performance of electric motors in automotive applications, and ensuring the safety and efficiency of wind turbines.

5. What are some challenges in performing rotor analysis for big deformation problems?

One of the main challenges in analyzing big deformation problems in rotors is accurately modeling the behavior of the rotor under various loading conditions. This requires advanced computational methods and simulation tools. Additionally, obtaining accurate data and measurements for real-world rotors can also be challenging.