Row/Column space in relation to row operations

In summary, the conversation is discussing how row operations preserve linear dependence relations for the columns of a matrix but not the rows. This is important in finding bases for the column and row space of a matrix. The speakers also discuss the use of elementary matrices to perform row operations, and how performing column operations instead would preserve linear relations between the rows but not the columns. The reason behind this is still being debated.
Gridvvk
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what should be a trivial detail, but it is important, so hopefully someone else putting it in explicit words might help me understand it.

What I am having trouble grasping is why do row operations preserve linear dependence relations for the columns of a matrix but not the rows?

The context this comes up is in regards to the row & column space of a matrix. Given a matrix A, to find a basis for the column space we would just take the linearly independent columns of A. However, usually it's difficult to tell what columns are independent, so we find rref(A) and the pivot positions in rref(A) correspond directly to the pivot positions in A, this is true because row operations preserve linear dependence relations for the columns.

For the row space we would take the linearly independent rows of rref(A) this is because the row space of A is equivalent to rref(A); however, the dependence relations for the rows are not the same.

So if I can understand why the dependence relations are the same for columns but different for rows, it would really help me connect everything together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]A[/itex] be an [itex]n\times m[/itex] matrix.
- Say you want to switch two rows of [itex]A[/itex] to create a matrix [itex]B[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]E[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]E[/itex] to ensure [itex]EA=B[/itex]?
- Say you want to scale some row of [itex]A[/itex] by a nonzero constant to create a matrix [itex]C[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]F[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]F[/itex] to ensure [itex]FA=C[/itex]?
- Say you want to add a multiple of one row of [itex]A[/itex] to another row, to create a matrix [itex]D[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]G[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]G[/itex] to ensure [itex]GA=D[/itex]?

Now that you've figured out what [itex]E,F,G[/itex] all look like, do you notice any feature they all have? [Hint: Do they have any feature that will ensure, for instance, that [itex]EA[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] have the same number of linearly independent rows?]

economicsnerd said:
Let [itex]A[/itex] be an [itex]n\times m[/itex] matrix.
- Say you want to switch two rows of [itex]A[/itex] to create a matrix [itex]B[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]E[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]E[/itex] to ensure [itex]EA=B[/itex]?

Yes E would be the elementary matrix corresponding to the same operation on the identity matrix.
economicsnerd said:
Say you want to scale some row of [itex]A[/itex] by a nonzero constant to create a matrix [itex]C[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]F[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]F[/itex] to ensure [itex]FA=C[/itex]?

F would be the elementary corresponding to the same scaling on the identity matrix.

economicsnerd said:
Say you want to add a multiple of one row of [itex]A[/itex] to another row, to create a matrix [itex]D[/itex]. Is there an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix [itex]G[/itex] you can write down that will carry out the operation for you? i.e. Can you choose [itex]G[/itex] to ensure [itex]GA=D[/itex]?

G would also be elementary matrix formed by doing the same operation on the n by n identity.

economicsnerd said:
Now that you've figured out what [itex]E,F,G[/itex] all look like, do you notice any feature they all have? [Hint: Do they have any feature that will ensure, for instance, that [itex]EA[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] have the same number of linearly independent rows?]

E,F, and G are elementary matrices. EA and A should have the same number of linearly independent rows, but why don't the same pivot positions for these rows in EA correspond to the pivot positions in A?

If you perform elementary column operations instead of row operations, then the linear relations between the rows are preserved, but not those between the colums. On the other hand, the column space is unchanged, but not the row space.

Erland said:
If you perform elementary column operations instead of row operations, then the linear relations between the rows are preserved, but not those between the colums. On the other hand, the column space is unchanged, but not the row space.

Yes. That would be logically true, if you buy that row operations preserve linear relations between columns but not rows. You wouldn't even need to invent column operations you can instead claim the original proposition for the transpose of a matrix.

That still doesn't explain why it is true.

What is the row space of a matrix?

The row space of a matrix is the span of the rows of the matrix. It is the set of all possible linear combinations of the rows of the matrix. It is denoted by Row(A) or R(A).

What is the column space of a matrix?

The column space of a matrix is the span of the columns of the matrix. It is the set of all possible linear combinations of the columns of the matrix. It is denoted by Col(A) or C(A).

How do row operations affect the row space of a matrix?

Row operations do not change the row space of a matrix. This is because row operations are equivalent to multiplying the matrix by an elementary matrix, which does not change the span of the rows of the matrix.

Can the column space of a matrix be determined by its row space?

Yes, the column space and row space of a matrix are closely related. In fact, the column space is the orthogonal complement of the null space of the matrix, and the row space is the orthogonal complement of the left null space of the matrix.

How can row operations be used to find a basis for the row space or column space of a matrix?

Row operations can be used to transform a matrix into its reduced row echelon form. The rows of the reduced row echelon form that contain pivot elements form a basis for the row space of the original matrix. Similarly, the columns of the reduced row echelon form that contain pivot elements form a basis for the column space of the original matrix.