Royal Air Force to kickstart Aerospace career

In summary, the individual is about to start their final year of Undergraduate Mechanical Engineering in South Africa and is interested in working in the Aeronautical field. However, job options in this field are limited in South Africa, so they are considering joining the RAF after completing their studies and studying for a Masters degree part-time while in the RAF to break into the UK job market. The individual asks if employers in the UK value military service and if this would be a beneficial career move. Responses suggest that military service is highly praised in the US and may be beneficial in the UK as well, particularly in the defense industry. However, full-time study for an MSc and PhD may be a better option for those interested in designing aircraft or conducting
jasonbot
I'm about to start my final year of Undergraduate Mechanical Engineering here is South Africa but as far as my options are for jobs in the Aeronautical field (which I'm interested in) they are limited to manufacturing and maintenance.

Because of this I'm thinking of joining the RAF after my Bachelors/Honours and studying a Masters degree part time whilst there to try and make a break into the UK job market.

Will this be beneficial at all? Do employers in the UK look at military service at all or would my time be wasted in this endeavour?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak for the UK but in the US military service is DEFINITELY highly praised especially when looking for a job as it shows discipline, dedication, and sacrifice, throw a master's on top and you're a shoe in. Being in the Air Force before working in the Aeronautical field is PERFECT. It shows you know what you're working with and have first hand experience with how aircraft handle (assuming you'd be a pilot in the RAF). And as I said before a master's in engineering would be phenomenal in addition. Good luck!

It probably helps too if you want to work in defense industry

In the UK, I think you'd be better studying for the MSc full time! We don't have a romantic view of the military in the UK - RAF pilots might be able to fly planes but it doesn't mean they know anything about designing them - that's what boffins are for. Also, given the recession, you should look further afield than the UK for jobs, maybe Canada or Australia?

I was thinking of joining the RAF as an Engineering Officer not a pilot so that I could use my undergraduate engineering degree?

The reason I looked at the UK is because of my EU citizenship which I'd have thought would make it more accessible than say Canada or Australia.

jasonbot said:
I was thinking of joining the RAF as an Engineering Officer not a pilot so that I could use my undergraduate engineering degree?

The reason I looked at the UK is because of my EU citizenship which I'd have thought would make it more accessible than say Canada or Australia.

According to this, you need an MSc to get in!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/engineerofficer.cfm

Also, wouldn't a RAF job "just" be maintenance? That might be an interesting job - but you say you don't want that. If you want to actually design aircraft, or do fundamental research on aeronautical structures, than full time MSc followed by full time PhD, then searching the world for research jobs at university or in industry would surely be the way to go.

That sounds like more fun to me. You could have the RAF as a fallback plan, if you can't get the loans/funding to do something more interesting...

Aim high! The sky's the limit. Sorry couldn't resist :)

mal4mac said:
In the UK, I think you'd be better studying for the MSc full time! We don't have a romantic view of the military in the UK - RAF pilots might be able to fly planes but it doesn't mean they know anything about designing them - that's what boffins are for. Also, given the recession, you should look further afield than the UK for jobs, maybe Canada or Australia?

If you are interested in aerospace you don't want to be looking at Australia! Most of our domestic aerospace grads end up either moving overseas if they want to work in aerospace or just find jobs in different fields. If memory serves me correct we are the only country in G20 without a space program. So in short, don't be looking at Australia if you want to work in aerospace (or manufacturing, or r+d...).

Just like the UK we also don't have a romanticised view of the military here. If you want to work in defence related industries then experience in the defence force is a perfect entry point. If you want to work anywhere else then there may be other things that will assist you better in your career progression.

1. What is the Royal Air Force (RAF)?

The Royal Air Force is the aerial warfare branch of the British Armed Forces. It was formed in 1918 and is responsible for defending the UK and its interests, as well as promoting international peace and security.

2. How can joining the RAF kickstart my aerospace career?

Joining the RAF can provide you with a wide range of opportunities to gain hands-on experience and knowledge in the aerospace industry. You can receive top-quality training and work with some of the most advanced technology in the world, which can give you a competitive edge in the job market.

3. What kind of roles are available in the RAF for aspiring aerospace professionals?

The RAF offers a variety of roles in the aerospace field such as pilot, air traffic controller, aerospace engineer, and aircraft maintenance technician. These roles require different levels of education and training, so it's important to research and choose the one that aligns with your interests and qualifications.

4. What qualifications do I need to join the RAF and pursue an aerospace career?

The qualifications required to join the RAF and pursue an aerospace career vary depending on the role you are interested in. Generally, a good standard of education, including GCSEs and A-levels, is required. For more technical roles, such as aerospace engineer, a degree in a relevant subject may be necessary.

5. Can I progress in my career while serving in the RAF?

Yes, the RAF offers opportunities for career progression through training and promotion. As you gain more experience and skills, you can advance to higher ranks and take on more challenging roles within the RAF. Additionally, the skills and experience gained in the RAF can also be transferable to civilian aerospace careers, providing further opportunities for advancement.