Rules in the General Discussion Forum

• Complaint
  • Thread starter name123
  • Start date
In summary: We will consider adding a sentence about block universe to clarify this further.In summary, the user's post "Eternalism and change" was initially put under review but eventually allowed to be displayed publicly. However, further replies were not allowed and the user was hoping for an explanation as to why. The user was then directed to an article explaining the policy against discussing block universe theories on the forum. The user questioned the compatibility of block universe theory with the evidence of change and asked why this topic was not included in the forum rules. The mentors clarified that the forum rules do mention Lorentz ether theory as a prohibited topic and may consider adding a sentence about block universe to further clarify this. The thread was then closed in accordance with the forum's
name123
I had read the General Discussion Rules before creating a post "Eternalism and change". The post was put under review as to whether it should be displayed publicly and it eventually was. A few posts in and suddenly no further replies were allowed, and I am not sure why. I am not arguing for it to be reopened, I accept that it is for the mentors to decide what is allowed and what is not. What would be useful though is if it was explained why it was shut down, because the issue was simply to become if some interpretations of Relativity have a block universe how are those compatible with the evidence of change (our experience). That isn't a philosophical issue, it is simply questioning how an apparently scientific interpretation is compatible with the evidence. I was hoping that in response the mentors could maybe given some general indication of what was wrong with the post, which could help inform future posters, and maybe even update the General Discussion Rules to give an indication.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
It is customary for us to make a closing post explaining why before locking a thread. I don't know what happened in this case, sorry.

No problem.

anorlunda said:
Perhaps you should have been pointed to this article https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pfs-policy-on-lorentz-ether-theory-and-block-universe/
that explains in detail why we don't discuss block universe.

If it cannot be discussed in the general discussion forum, then why not include it in the rules for that forum, so those that bothered to read them would know?

Furthermore, the link you pointed me to seems to indicate why Block Universe vs Lorentz Aether Theory discussions are not allowed. But the post was not Block Universe vs Lorentz Aether Theory, it was how is Block Universe compatible with the evidence. The article states:
---
Both BU and LET use the Lorentz transform, etc., to make all of their experimental predictions, and therefore they are scientifically indistinguishable, making the same experimental predictions in all cases.
---

But while it is easy to explain with LET why an experience of change is compatible with the theory, because in the theory there is change, I do not think it is obvious how the BU theory is even compatible with the experience of change, let alone that it would predict an experience of it. So I do not see how it can be claimed that they make the same predictions. I realize the article stated "experimental predictions" but can the experiment not be whether you experience change?

name123 said:
Furthermore, the link you pointed me to seems to indicate why Block Universe vs Lorentz Aether Theory discussions are not allowed.
That's not what was intended. There's no "vs." involved, we do not host discussions on either one.
but can the experiment not be whether you experience change?
Only if we could define a procedure for determining whether someone has experienced change or not, and there's no way of doing that. We can determine that at this moment someone has memories of an earlier moment when things were different - but that's true of block universe, LET, and mainstream physics, so doesn't provide an experimental method for distinguishing them.

Be that as it may, we're not going to deviate from our policy of not hosting discussions of LET or block universe, so I am closing this thread. As with all thread closures, anyone can PM any mentor if they have something more to add to the discussion

Likes weirdoguy
Just an additional comment:
name123 said:
If it cannot be discussed in the general discussion forum, then why not include it in the rules for that forum, so those that bothered to read them would know?
The forum rules explicitly mention Lorentz ether theory as a topic we do not allow (outside of its historical context).

1. What are the rules for posting in the General Discussion Forum?

The rules for posting in the General Discussion Forum are as follows:

• Be respectful and courteous to other users
  • Do not post any offensive or inappropriate content
  • Stay on topic and avoid spamming or self-promotion
  • Do not share personal information
  • Follow the guidelines set by the forum moderators

2. Can I post links in the General Discussion Forum?

Yes, you can post links in the General Discussion Forum as long as they are relevant to the topic being discussed and do not violate any of the forum rules. However, excessive self-promotion or spamming of links is not allowed.

3. Is there a limit to how many posts I can make in the General Discussion Forum?

There is no specific limit to the number of posts you can make in the General Discussion Forum. However, we encourage users to avoid spamming and to only make relevant and meaningful contributions to the discussion.

4. What should I do if I see a post that violates the rules?

If you come across a post that you believe violates the rules of the General Discussion Forum, you can report it to the forum moderators by using the "Report" function available on the post. The moderators will review the post and take appropriate action.

5. Are there consequences for breaking the rules in the General Discussion Forum?

Yes, there are consequences for breaking the rules in the General Discussion Forum. Depending on the severity of the violation, the consequences may include a warning, temporary ban, or permanent ban from the forum. The moderators have the discretion to determine the appropriate action for each situation.