Runge Kutta for nonlinear system of equation

In summary: There are a lot of real and imaginary constants I omitted, but the general form of the equations above models an actual physical system of coherently radiating molecules (i.e. it is not made up). Yes, when I increase SCALE, the values go to infinity. When I decrease scale, the large oscillations are gone and the output resembles what I expect for a particular case of initial/boundary conditions, but there are quite a few differences that I'm thinking are largely due to this one term being absent when SCALE approaches 0.
TheCanadian
I am applying a 4th order Runge-Kutta code to solve the following:

\begin{equation} \frac {\partial y_1}{\partial t} = y_2 y_3 - C_1 y_1 \end{equation}

\begin{equation} \frac {\partial y_2}{\partial t} = y_3y_1 - C_2 y_2 \end{equation}

\begin{equation} \frac {\partial y_3}{\partial z} = y_4 \end{equation}

\begin{equation} \frac {\partial y_4}{\partial z} = \frac {\partial ^2 y_2}{\partial t^2} + \frac {\partial ^2 y_3}{\partial t^2} + y_1y_3 - y_2y_3 + y_3^2y_2 - y_4\end{equation}

(where ## y_n## are the solutions I am looking for, ## C_n ## are real constants)

My code appears to work and solve the system when I just remove the ## y_4 ## term from equation (4), but otherwise, the solution goes to infinity. I have tried rescaling parameters/variables, decreasing the spatial intervals, and changing the boundary/initial conditions (except trivial ones), but these seem not to work. For testing purposes, I also changed equation (4) to:

$$ \frac {\partial y_4}{\partial z} = \frac {\partial ^2 y_2}{\partial t^2} + \frac {\partial ^2 y_3}{\partial t^2} + y_1y_3 - y_2y_3 + y_3^2y_2 - \text {SCALE}*y_4 $$

where SCALE = ##10^{-5}##. With this change, the output did not go to infinity, although it had an unexpected output (namely there were frequent large oscillations). I could not change SCALE to values larger than ##10^{-5}##, otherwise the output would go to infinity.

RK4 seems to work well for almost everything except this one term in the 4th equation, and I was just wondering if you had any ideas? I was considering possibly applying an implicit method on only the 3rd and 4th equations, although due to the nonlinearity, I haven't been able to isolate for the ##y_3## when using higher order BDF methods.

Technology news on Phys.org
You have dependences in z and t. That means PDEs, not ODEs. How to you solve that with RK?

DrClaude said:
You have dependences in z and t. That means PDEs, not ODEs. How to you solve that with RK?

I was using the method of lines, advancing ##y_1## and ##y_2## first, then computing the values for ##y_3## and ##y_4##.

TheCanadian said:
I was using the method of lines, advancing ##y_1## and ##y_2## first, then computing the values for ##y_3## and ##y_4##.
Ok. Have you looked up the criterion of stability for that approach?

DrClaude said:
Ok. Have you looked up the criterion of stability for that approach?

I had previously looked into stability conditions (e.g. Von Neumann) although it appeared there were no standard criterion for dealing with nonlinear systems that presented stiff behaviour.

what kind of system does these equations describe? Or they are just made up?
The fact that introducing a small scale didn't make your solutions explode, at least indicates that something is stinks with that term... did you try higher values of SCALE to see how things change?

ChrisVer said:
what kind of system does these equations describe? Or they are just made up?
The fact that introducing a small scale didn't make your solutions explode, at least indicates that something is stinks with that term... did you try higher values of SCALE to see how things change?

There are a lot of real and imaginary constants I omitted, but the general form of the equations above models an actual physical system of coherently radiating molecules (i.e. it is not made up). Yes, when I increase SCALE, the values go to infinity. When I decrease scale, the large oscillations are gone and the output resembles what I expect for a particular case of initial/boundary conditions, but there are quite a few differences that I'm thinking are largely due to this one term being absent when SCALE approaches 0.

1. What is Runge Kutta for nonlinear systems of equations?

Runge Kutta is a numerical method used to solve systems of nonlinear equations. It is a type of iterative algorithm that approximates the solution to a system of differential equations by breaking it down into smaller steps.

2. How does Runge Kutta differ from other numerical methods for solving nonlinear systems?

Unlike other numerical methods, Runge Kutta is an explicit method, meaning that the solution at each step only depends on the previous step. This makes it more efficient and easier to implement for nonlinear systems.

3. What are the main advantages of using Runge Kutta for solving nonlinear systems?

Runge Kutta is a highly accurate method for solving nonlinear systems. It is also versatile and can handle a wide range of equations and initial conditions. Additionally, it can handle stiff systems, where the solution changes rapidly over a small range of values.

4. Are there any limitations to using Runge Kutta for nonlinear systems?

One limitation of Runge Kutta is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for systems with a large number of equations. It also requires the equations to be well-behaved, meaning that they have a smooth and continuous solution.

5. How can I determine the appropriate step size for using Runge Kutta on a specific system of equations?

The step size for Runge Kutta can be determined by considering the rate of change of the solution and the desired accuracy. Generally, a smaller step size will result in a more accurate solution, but it will also increase the computational time. It is important to balance accuracy and computational efficiency when choosing the step size for Runge Kutta.