Running old carmageddon on windows 7 64-bit?

In summary, you downloaded a free version of the first carmageddon game and it is only compatible with Windows XP service pack 2. You can either use DOSBOX or purchase the packaged option which will be $10.
Kutt
I downloaded a free version of the first carmageddon game and apparently it is only compatible with Windows XP service pack 2.

I am running windows 7 64-bit.

I've read that there is a trick to getting it to work.

Could anyone help me out?

Computer science news on Phys.org
An alternate route would be to get virtualbox and just use windows xp sp2 if you have a copy laying around of sp2.

Now I want to play Carmageddon, I was supposed to get something done today!

Charmar said:
An alternate route would be to get virtualbox and just use windows xp sp2 if you have a copy laying around of sp2.

Now I want to play Carmageddon, I was supposed to get something done today!

I have DOSBOX but I don't know how to use it. Someone told me that DOSBOX was the key to getting carmageddon to run on my OS.

Yeah DOSBOX is the way to go but I haven't used it as a standalone solution. A while back I bought a few old DOS games from GameFly and they packaged DOSBOX into the EXE package which made running the game real easy.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah DOSBOX is the way to go but I haven't used it as a standalone solution. A while back I bought a few old DOS games from GameFly and they packaged DOSBOX into the EXE package which made running the game real easy.

Could you perhaps walk me through this?

I have no idea how to use DOSBOX.

Last edited:
Kutt said:
Could you perhaps walk me through this?

I have no idea how to use DOSBOX.

What I'm saying is that DOSBOX loaded when you ran the game program. It was packaged in. There was nothing to do.

You can buy this packaged option, but it will be $10
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack

Greg Bernhardt said:
What I'm saying is that DOSBOX loaded when you ran the game program. It was packaged in. There was nothing to do.

You can buy this packaged option, but it will be $10
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack

Oh.

I installed a free downloadable version of carmageddon on my ipad. Although the graphics aren't that great and the controls are iffy. It would be nice if I could play it on my computer instead.

I do have an old laptop that runs windows XP. I might be able to play it on that.

1. Can I run old carmageddon on a windows 7 64-bit system?

Yes, it is possible to run old carmageddon on a windows 7 64-bit system, but it may require some troubleshooting and adjustments.

2. How do I install old carmageddon on my windows 7 64-bit computer?

To install old carmageddon on a windows 7 64-bit computer, you will need to purchase the game or have the installation files, then follow the installation instructions provided by the game's developer. If you encounter any issues, you may need to adjust compatibility settings or use a virtual machine.

3. Why is old carmageddon not running properly on my windows 7 64-bit system?

Old carmageddon may not run properly on a windows 7 64-bit system due to compatibility issues. This can be resolved by adjusting compatibility settings or using a virtual machine.

4. Can I use a compatibility mode to run old carmageddon on my windows 7 64-bit system?

Yes, you can use a compatibility mode to run old carmageddon on your windows 7 64-bit system. Right-click on the game's executable file, go to properties, and under the compatibility tab, select the compatibility mode for the operating system the game was originally designed for.

5. Is there a virtual machine that is recommended for running old carmageddon on a windows 7 64-bit system?

There is no specific virtual machine recommended for running old carmageddon on a windows 7 64-bit system. However, some popular options include VirtualBox, VMWare, and Parallels. It is best to research and choose the one that best fits your needs and system specifications.