Rust in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4?

• Thread starter prime-factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Rust
In summary, the conversation discusses experiments on steel nails in HCl solutions with a pH of 1.5-2. The resulting rust is black and not attached to the surface of the nails, but found at the bottom of the test-tube. The question arises as to whether this rust is FeO or Fe3O4, and why the rust obtained from solutions of just salt is a different color and attaches to the nail. The explanation is related to coordination inorganic chemistry and the use of Crystal Field Theory to understand the color of the rust. It is suggested that the difference in color could be due to the presence of more Fe2+ ions in HCl solutions, which do not have enough time to oxidize into Fe3
prime-factor
rust in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4??

I am doing experiments on steel nails in HCl solutions with a pH of about 1.5 - 2.
The rust is black in colour, and is not attached to the surface of the nails. It stays at the bottom of the test-tube. Is this FeO or Fe3O4. Why is it that the rust I am getting in solutions of just salt is not the same colour?. And why is it red and attaching to the nail?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

prime-factor said:
I am doing experiments on steel nails in HCl solutions with a pH of about 1.5 - 2.
The rust is black in colour, and is not attached to the surface of the nails. It stays at the bottom of the test-tube. Is this FeO or Fe3O4. Why is it that the rust I am getting in solutions of just salt is not the same colour?. And why is it red and attaching to the nail?

It has a lot to do with coordination inorganic chemistry which depends on quantum mechanical explanations which relate the iron to the " field " of ligands around it to explain the color , you may want to start off with Crystal Field Theory.

prime-factor said:
Maybe with HCl you get more Fe2+ ions, that don't have enough time to be oxidized by air oxygen into Fe3+. In the first case you would get FeO (black), in the second Fe2O3 (red).

What causes rust in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4?

Rust formation in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4 is caused by a chemical reaction between iron and oxygen. When iron is exposed to oxygen and water, a process known as oxidation occurs, leading to the formation of rust.

How does rust affect the accuracy of experiments using test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4?

Rust can affect the accuracy of experiments using test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4 in several ways. Firstly, it can contaminate the contents of the test-tube, altering the results of the experiment. Secondly, rust can also damage the test-tube itself, making it more susceptible to breaking or cracking during the experiment.

Can rust be prevented in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4?

While rust formation cannot be completely prevented, there are measures that can be taken to reduce its occurrence. Keeping the test-tubes dry and free from moisture is the most effective way to prevent rust. Additionally, using non-corrosive materials such as plastic or glass for the test-tubes can also help prevent rust.

How can rust be removed from test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4?

If rust has formed in the test-tubes, it can be removed by using a mild acid, such as vinegar or citric acid, to dissolve the rust. Alternatively, a rust remover solution can also be used. It is important to thoroughly rinse and dry the test-tubes after removing rust to prevent its reoccurrence.

Is rust formation in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4 harmful?

Rust formation in test-tubes of HCl FeO or Fe3O4 is not harmful in small amounts, but it can be a nuisance and affect the accuracy of experiments. However, if the rust contains other contaminants or impurities, it could potentially be harmful. It is important to properly clean and maintain test-tubes to prevent any potential health risks.