S-matrix expansion and Wick's theorem

In summary, there is a difference in computing time-ordered products using Wick's theorem, with the first one involving an additional term that vanishes in QED and is necessary for gauge-invariant renormalization schemes.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
What is the correct way to write the S-matrix?
$$S = T\left\{e^{-i\int \mathscr{H}_I d^4 x}\right\}$$
or
$$S = T\left\{e^{-i\int :\mathscr{H}_I: d^4 x}\right\}$$
?
Where :: refers to the Normal-ordering.
My question arises when we expand the S-matrix using Wick's theorem, there we need to compute time-ordered products, but is not the same to compute
$$T\{\bar{\psi}(x_1)\gamma^\mu \psi(x_1) A_\mu(x_1)\}$$ or
$$T\{:\bar{\psi}(x_1)\gamma^\mu \psi(x_1) A_\mu(x_1):\}$$
While the second one is simply
$$:\bar{\psi}(x_1)\gamma^\mu \psi(x_1) A_\mu(x_1):$$
the first one is
$$T\{\bar{\psi}(x_1)\gamma^\mu \psi(x_1) A_\mu(x_1)\} = :\bar{\psi}(x_1)\gamma^\mu \psi(x_1) A_\mu(x_1): + i \text{Tr}\{{S_F(0)\gamma^\mu\}}A_\mu(x_1)$$
So there's a difference between both, and similar diferences appear in higher order calculations, now I know that this extra terms give tadpole diagrams and that this vanish in QED. But in other theories we need to introduce this terms?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tadpole diagrams are constant self-energy insertions, which are renormlized away anyway. In gauge theories it's convenient to keep them in, because then in gauge-invariant renormalization schemes like dimensional regularization the Ward Takahashi identities are fulfilled at any order for the regularized Feynman diagrams. E.g., in scalar QED at the one-loop level the photon self-energy is only transverse when you take the tadpole diagram into account. Normal ordering cancels the tadpole diagram but this is obviously not a gauge-invariant procedure. Of course this doesn't really matter, you only have to keep in mind to choose your counter terms at any order PT such that the WTIs stay fulfilled for the renormalized proper vertex functions.

1. What is the S-matrix expansion?

The S-matrix expansion is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in particle interactions. It is based on the scattering matrix (S-matrix), which describes the relationship between the initial and final states of a quantum system.

2. How does the S-matrix expansion work?

The S-matrix expansion is based on Wick's theorem, which states that any n-point correlation function in a quantum field theory can be written as a sum of products of two-point correlation functions. This allows for the calculation of the probabilities of different outcomes in particle interactions by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What is Wick's theorem?

Wick's theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate correlation functions. It states that any n-point correlation function can be written as a sum of products of two-point correlation functions, also known as Wick contractions. This simplifies the calculation of correlation functions and allows for the use of perturbation theory.

4. What is the significance of Wick's theorem in quantum field theory?

Wick's theorem is an essential tool in quantum field theory as it allows for the calculation of correlation functions, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It also simplifies the use of perturbation theory, making it easier to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in particle interactions.

5. What are the limitations of the S-matrix expansion and Wick's theorem?

One limitation of the S-matrix expansion and Wick's theorem is that they are only applicable to systems that are in a vacuum state. They also assume that the interactions between particles are weak, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the calculations can become very complex and difficult to manage for systems with a large number of particles.