S-matrix structure of the lightest particle

In summary, the lightest particle cannot decay into other particles and its T-matrix amplitude on-shell should be zero. However, if a different renormalization scheme is chosen, the T-matrix can be non-zero, leading to a non-zero imaginary part of the self-energy on-shell. To satisfy unitarity, the Feynman amplitudes must also be taken into account. Additionally, the physical mass of the particle is determined by the pole of its single-particle propagator.
geoduck
If you have a particle that is the lightest particle, then it cannot decay into other particles. As a consequence of this, its T-matrix amplitude on-shell should be zero, since the S-matrix is S=1+iT, and the amplitude for the particle to be found with the same quantum numbers and momentum is 1 since it can't decay, so T=0. The T-matrix in this case should be the self-energy of the particle. So you should always have [itex] \Pi(p^2=m^2)=0 [/itex]. But what if you choose a different renormalization scheme so that [itex] \Pi(p^2=m^2) \neq 0 [/itex]? Then the S-matrix doesn't seem like it can be equal to 1, since this is the lightest particle, so the T-matrix should always be real on-shell, so that S=1+imaginary number, and the amplitude of this is greater than 1.

Unitarity requires:

$$
- \text{Im} \, \Pi (i \leftarrow i)=\sum_n (2 \pi)^4 \delta^4(P_{ni})(\Pi_n \frac{1}{\rho^2})F (n \leftarrow i)^* F (n \leftarrow i)
$$

In this formula, [itex]n[/itex] are all on-shell intermediate states of all possible particles, and [itex]\rho [/itex] are normalization factors of these particles, and [itex]F [/itex] are Feynman amplitudes. Since this is the lightest particle and can't decay, only when [itex]n=i[/itex], [itex]F \rightarrow -i \Pi(p^2=m^2)[/itex] does the RHS contribute. This seems to imply that if the self-energy is not equal to zero on-shell, then the RHS is non-zero, so the imaginary part of the self-energy on the LHS can be non-zero on-shell. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, you also have to renormalize the wave function. The physical mass of the particle is always defined by the pole of the corresponding single-particle propagator (one-particle Green's function).

Related to S-matrix structure of the lightest particle

1. What is the S-matrix structure of the lightest particle?

The S-matrix structure of the lightest particle is a mathematical representation of the scattering process of particles. It describes the probability amplitudes for particles to scatter and interact with each other.

2. How is the S-matrix structure related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The S-matrix structure is a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics. It helps to explain the behavior and interactions of particles and how they relate to each other through the fundamental forces of nature.

3. What is the significance of studying the S-matrix structure of the lightest particle?

Studying the S-matrix structure of the lightest particle can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter at the most basic level. It also helps to understand the properties and interactions of particles, which can have practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine.

4. How is the S-matrix structure experimentally determined?

The S-matrix structure is determined through experiments, where particles are accelerated and collided with each other. The resulting data is then analyzed using mathematical models to extract information about the S-matrix structure and the behavior of the particles.

5. Can the S-matrix structure of the lightest particle change over time?

The S-matrix structure is a fundamental property of particles and is not expected to change over time. However, as our understanding of particle physics evolves, our mathematical models and interpretations of the S-matrix structure may be refined and improved.