S3 Group G/N: Find Left Cosets of N

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, we are given a group (S3,◦) and a normal subgroup N, which is generated by the permutation (1,2,3). We are asked to find the set of all left cosets of N in G, denoted by G/N, which is equal to {x ◦ N | x ∈ G}. Since (S3,◦) contains 6 elements, the resulting quotient group G/N will also have 6 elements.
namegoeshere

Homework Statement

Let (G,◦) be a group and let N be a normal subgroup of G. Consider the set of all left cosets of N in G and denote it by G/N:

G/N = {x ◦ N | x ∈ G}.

Find G/N:

(G,◦) = (S3,◦) and N = <β> with β(1) = 2, β(2) = 3, β(3) = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure I understand this problem.

The permutations are (1)(2)(3), (1,2)(3), (1)(2,3), (1,3,2), (1,3)(2), and (1,2,3).

Does β(1) = 2, β(2) = 3, β(3) = 1 mean N is the permutation (1,2,3)? Can't I compose (1,2,3) with any x ∈ G, and receive x ◦ N ∈ G with the resulting quotient group being {x | x ∈ G}, since N is onto and one-to-one?

Sorry if that makes no sense. I'm confused, to say the least.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post! I understand your confusion with this problem. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

First, let's define the group (S3,◦) to be the symmetric group on 3 elements, where the operation ◦ represents composition of permutations. This means that (1,2,3) ◦ (1,2) = (1,3) and so on.

Next, let's define the subgroup N to be the set of even permutations, which is generated by the permutation β = (1,2,3). This means that N = {(), (1,2,3), (1,3,2)}. Notice that N is normal in G, since it is a subgroup of the symmetric group (S3,◦).

Now, let's consider the set of all left cosets of N in G, denoted by G/N. This set contains all the possible permutations that can be obtained by composing any permutation in G with the elements of N. In other words, G/N = {(1,2,3) ◦ x | x ∈ G}.

So, the resulting quotient group G/N will contain all the possible permutations that can be obtained by composing (1,2,3) with any permutation in (S3,◦). Since (S3,◦) contains 6 elements, the quotient group G/N will also have 6 elements.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your work!

What is S3 Group G/N?

S3 Group G/N refers to a group of permutations of three elements, where the elements are divided into two subsets: G and N. G is the set of elements that are not affected by the permutation, while N is the set of elements that are permuted.

How do you find the left cosets of N in S3 Group G/N?

To find the left cosets of N, we first need to identify the elements of N. Then, we multiply each element of N by all the elements in G to create the left cosets. The number of left cosets will be equal to the order of N.

What is the purpose of finding left cosets in S3 Group G/N?

Finding left cosets helps us to understand the structure of the group and the relationship between its elements. It also allows us to identify the subgroups of the group and study their properties.

What are some properties of left cosets in S3 Group G/N?

Some properties of left cosets in S3 Group G/N include: they all have the same order, they are either equal or disjoint, and they form a partition of the group.

How can left cosets in S3 Group G/N be used in applications?

Left cosets in S3 Group G/N can be used in applications such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer algorithms. They can also be applied in the study of symmetry and group theory in mathematics.