Saltwater fish in Freshwater diluted with salt

CGandC
Suppose I dilute a freshwater tank with an appropriate amount of salt, will saltwater fish be able to live in it? if not, then why?

Biology news on Phys.org
Most fish are tolerant of only a limited variation in the saltiness of the water in which they reside.

However, different fish have different abilities to go from salt to freshwater or the other way around.
Some (like salmon) change their abilities to do this based on their stage of life. Salmon start in freshwater (as eggs), then go to the ocean, then return to freshwater to mate and lay eggs. Their physiology changes to make this possible.
Bull sharks are usually found in oceans but can go far up rivers.

Some fish have benefits from more or less salt. Slightly salty water is good for some larval fish at certain ages. It takes energy to pump excess salt out of their bodies, so adding a little salt (but not too much) to the water can benefit them.

Generally speaking, brackish fish (fish in water where fresh mixes with salt) probably have the largest tolerance. (there are some really interesting brackish fish to keep if you are a fish keeper, but as said above, they are more difficult.)

The major take home lesson would be to research what the specific kind of fish you are interested in can tolerate at what time in their life cycle.
There are many resources for this information: books, magazines, websites, extension services, aquaculture organization, hobbyist organizations.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Well, considering a standard saltwater creature that only lives in the ocean ( not living in brackish waters, not diverting between salt and fresh waters, etc. ) - a clownfish for example. Assuming my aquarium with salt ( at the "right" concentration for the clownfish to still be considered hyposmotic relative to tank's water ) is fully cycled, is it suffice for the clownfish to live to its full lifespan?
What parameters have to be "added" to a freshwater system in order for the clownfish to live its full life span?

A quick google search: "clownfish freshwater tolerance" shows a wide consensus that clownfish can not tolerate freshwater.
Here is one result:
Ocellaris clownfish prefer a water temperature between 72-78° F with a pH between 8.0-8.4. As saltwater fish, they require a stable salinity between 1.020-1.026. Clownfish cannot tolerate any traces of ammonia or nitrite.Jan 31, 2023

They are however easy to keep in salt tanks.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and CGandC
Thanks! this clarified things for me. I was perplexed as to the basics of the chemistry that sustains the life of saltwater fish from reading about discussions of what it takes to establish a saltwater tank: powerheads, reverse osmosis system, protein skimmer, etc. Of course, these are important to the keep the fish healthy and etc but not the ground basics of why they are able to live in saltwater.

Likes BillTre
As a child my parents had friends in New Jersey. On a visit to those friends, I was playing on a beach when I accidently captured a small fish (about 1 inch long) in a sand pool I had dug out. Those friends kept my prize in a small fish bowl with tap water - and a few days later report by phone on its progress. It had slowly inflated to many times its volume before dying.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, CGandC and BillTre

1. What happens to saltwater fish in freshwater diluted with salt?

When saltwater fish are placed in freshwater diluted with salt, it creates an environment that is closer to their natural habitat. The diluted saltwater allows the fish to maintain their osmotic balance, which is essential for their survival.

2. Can saltwater fish survive in freshwater diluted with salt?

Yes, saltwater fish can survive in freshwater diluted with salt as long as the salinity levels are within a tolerable range for the specific species. However, it is important to note that sudden changes in salinity can be stressful for the fish and may impact their health.

3. How much salt should be added to freshwater for saltwater fish?

The amount of salt that should be added to freshwater for saltwater fish depends on the species of fish and their individual salinity requirements. It is best to research the specific needs of the fish before adding salt to the water.

4. What are the benefits of keeping saltwater fish in freshwater diluted with salt?

Keeping saltwater fish in freshwater diluted with salt can provide a more affordable and easier-to-maintain alternative to a full saltwater tank. It also allows for a wider variety of fish to be kept together, as some species may not be compatible in a full saltwater environment.

5. Are there any risks to keeping saltwater fish in freshwater diluted with salt?

There are some potential risks to keeping saltwater fish in freshwater diluted with salt. If the salinity levels are not properly maintained, it can lead to stress and health issues for the fish. Additionally, some species may not thrive in this type of environment and may require a full saltwater tank for optimal health.