Should I Study at UABC or SDSU for a Future in Physics?

• Thread starter Etienne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary, the speaker's name is Etienne and they are currently a senior in high school studying food science at a trade school in Tijuana. They will receive a degree equivalent to an Associate Degree from the US with a final GPA of over 9.8 in 11th grade and over 9.5 throughout high school. The speaker was born and raised in San Diego, where their GPA ranged from 3.8-4.0. They are considering studying physics at UABC in Ensenada or engineering physics at UABC in Mexicali, both in Mexico, or at SDSU in the US. They express sadness about not being able to attend SDSU with guaranteed admission due to their school's program and
Etienne
Good night to all,

My name is Etienne, and I am about to be a senior in High School. I attend a "trade school" in which I am currently studying Food Science, in Tijuana. I will receive a degree, I guess it would be equivalent to an Associate Degree from the states. Out of a grading scale of 0-10, my final gpa this year (11th grade) was over 9.8 and throughout high school, over 9.5.

I wasn't always down here in Tijuana. I was born and raised in San Diego, CA. Back there, my GPA varied from 3.8-4.0, so I've kept my grades up at around the same area.

UABC (autonomous university of Baja California) offers:
*Physics major: in Ensenada, which is 2hrs south of Tijuana, I'm confident about passing the admission exam, although it is a pretty closed program. Problem would be I'd have to pay rent throughout the 4 years.
*Engineering Physics: Mexicali, two hours east of Tijuana.

SDSU offers:
*Physics, (B.A. and B.S.) *Chemical Physics B.S.

This school kind of makes me sad, it was never really my goal... I would've had guaranteed admission just with my schools program and my grades, anyway...

Every day I hear both sides, two different opinions. Can I get some real help here? Which option is more convenient? for the sake of, my future?

1. Study my B.S. in UABC and try to do my M.S in the states? (implies a year left to study for the admission exam)

2. Study my B.S. in SDSU, (work my butt off for the SAT exam the rest of this summer,and try to get admitted)

Any advice anyone?
UABC is one of the top 10 universities in Mexico, including private schools...
SDSU, well it's in the US, and it's a US Degree, I'd get a better job I think,

*I'm sorry if the post is too long, it's my first thread :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to work in the USA or Mexico when you finish your degree?

Why does SDSU make you sad? It's a solid school with high standards in Physics and Engineering. You can get anywhere for SDSU.

I would like to work in the USA, preferibly the San Diego area.
I know it's a good school, what makes me "sad" is that I always remember that if I wouldv'e stayed in SD, I would have gained my "guaranteed admission" :(

analogdesign said:
Do you want to work in the USA or Mexico when you finish your degree?

Why does SDSU make you sad? It's a solid school with high standards in Physics and Engineering. You can get anywhere for SDSU.

I wouldn't say SDSU is a great school for physics or engineering, better than Cal state schools, but UCSD is better, especially for engineering.

Likes 1 person

I understand your dilemma and the importance of making a well-informed decision about your education and future career. Both UABC and SDSU have their own strengths and opportunities, so it ultimately depends on your personal goals and preferences.

Firstly, congratulations on your academic achievements so far. Your high GPA is a testament to your hard work and dedication, and it is impressive that you have excelled in both the US and Mexican education systems.

Regarding your options, studying at UABC and then pursuing a Master's degree in the US could be a viable option. This would allow you to benefit from the high academic standards of UABC and also gain international experience and a US degree through your Master's program. However, it is important to consider the additional cost and time commitment of pursuing a Master's degree after completing your Bachelor's in Mexico.

On the other hand, studying at SDSU would provide you with a US degree and potentially better job opportunities in the US. However, it may also require you to work harder to meet the admission requirements and potentially incur higher tuition fees.

Ultimately, I would recommend researching and comparing the specific programs and courses offered at both universities and considering which aligns better with your academic and career goals. It may also be beneficial to reach out to current students or alumni from both universities to gain insights and advice. Whichever option you choose, make sure to give it your best effort and stay focused on your long-term goals. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between San Diego and Baja California?

San Diego is a city located in the state of California in the United States, while Baja California is a state located in Mexico. San Diego is known for its beaches, parks, and attractions such as the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld. Baja California is known for its diverse landscape, including beaches, mountains, and deserts, as well as its rich culture and cuisine.

2. Is it safe to travel to Baja California?

Like any destination, it is important to exercise caution and common sense while traveling in Baja California. While there have been safety concerns in certain areas of the state due to drug-related violence, many popular tourist areas, such as Tijuana and Rosarito, are generally safe for travelers. It is always a good idea to research the current safety situation and take necessary precautions when traveling to any destination.

3. What are the must-see attractions in San Diego and Baja California?

In San Diego, some popular attractions include Balboa Park, the Gaslamp Quarter, and the USS Midway Museum. In Baja California, some must-see attractions include the Valle de Guadalupe wine region, La Bufadora (a marine geyser), and the charming town of Todos Santos.

4. Can you cross the border between San Diego and Baja California?

Yes, there are several border crossings between San Diego and Baja California. The most popular is the San Ysidro Port of Entry, which is the busiest land border crossing in the world. It is important to have a valid passport and any necessary travel documents when crossing the border.

5. What is the best time of year to visit San Diego and Baja California?

The best time to visit San Diego and Baja California is typically in the spring or fall, when the weather is mild and there are fewer crowds. However, both destinations have pleasant weather year-round, so it ultimately depends on personal preference. Keep in mind that summer can be hot and crowded in both San Diego and Baja California, while winter can bring cooler temperatures and rain to San Diego.