Sandwich theorem limit problem

In summary: So I am thinking that maybe I can take the domain of the function to be [-1,1] and then use the Sandwich theorem to prove the limit. In summary, the Sandwich theorem is used to prove that the limit of a function is equal to 0 by showing that the function is "sandwiched" between two other functions whose limits are both equal to 0. In the case of the given problem, we can use the sine function, which has values between -1 and 1, and multiply it by the function ##\sqrt{x^3 + x^2} ## on both sides. To show that this function is greater than or equal to 0 near x = 0, we can take the domain of
issacnewton

Homework Statement

Prove that
$$ \lim_{x\to 0} \sqrt{x^3+x^2}\; \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) = 0 $$

using Sandwich theorem

Homework Equations

Sandwich Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Now we know that sine function takes values between -1 and 1. ## -1 \leqslant \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) \leqslant 1 ##. So we can multiply this by ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} ## on both sides. But I want to show that ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} \geqslant 0## near ## x = 0##. So I am stuck at this point. Any guidance will help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For x>0 its easy. Now for x<0 if you take for example ##-1<x<0## to prove that ##x^3>-x^2##. Hint: try multiplying ##-1<x<0## by the proper positive term)

Though I am solving this problem from Stewart's Calculus book, I am trying to be rigorous here. In the statement of the Sandwich theorem, we define an interval ##I## having ##0## as its limit point. Now if we take ##I = [-1,1]##, then ##0## is definitely the limit point of ##[-1,1]##. Now we need to show that for every x in ##I## not equal to ##0##, we have
$$ -\sqrt{x^3 + x^2} \leqslant \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) \leqslant \sqrt{x^3 + x^2}$$

For this, we will first need to show that ##\sqrt{x^3 + x^2} \geqslant 0## for all ##x## in ##[-1,1]##. Am I on right track ?

yes you are on the right track ( you just forgot to multiply by the ##\sqrt{x^3+x^2}## term in the middle of the double inequality).

Oh I missed that.. Ok I will continue working on this... thanx

IssacNewton said:

Homework Statement

Prove that
$$ \lim_{x\to 0} \sqrt{x^3+x^2}\; \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) = 0 $$

using Sandwich theorem

Homework Equations

Sandwich Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Now we know that sine function takes values between -1 and 1. ## -1 \leqslant \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right) \leqslant 1 ##. So we can multiply this by ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} ## on both sides. But I want to show that ## \sqrt{x^3+x^2} \geqslant 0## near ## x = 0##. So I am stuck at this point. Any guidance will help.

Thanks

There is nothing to prove; that is the very definition of the function ##\sqrt{...} .##

Ray, we need to be sure that ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##. If this is not true, then there might be problem. Thats why I am tried to come up with an interval over which, we have ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##, and this interval also has ##0## as its limit point.

IssacNewton said:
Ray, we need to be sure that ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##. If this is not true, then there might be problem. Thats why I am tried to come up with an interval over which, we have ## x^3+x^2 \geqslant 0##, and this interval also has ##0## as its limit point.
For ##0 \leq |x| \leq 1## we have ##|x|^3 \leq |x|^2 = x^2##.

Thanks Ray... makes sense

Related to Sandwich theorem limit problem

What is the Sandwich Theorem?

The Sandwich Theorem, also known as the Squeeze Theorem, is a mathematical tool used to find the limit of a function by comparing it to two other functions that are known to have the same limit.

How is the Sandwich Theorem used in limit problems?

In limit problems, the Sandwich Theorem is used by finding two functions that are "sandwiched" around the original function and have the same limit. By evaluating the limit of these two functions, we can determine the limit of the original function.

What are the conditions for using the Sandwich Theorem?

The conditions for using the Sandwich Theorem are that the two "sandwiching" functions must have the same limit at the point of interest and must be greater than or equal to the original function for values near the point of interest.

When should the Sandwich Theorem be used in limit problems?

The Sandwich Theorem should be used in limit problems when the direct evaluation of the limit is difficult or impossible, and when the function cannot be manipulated algebraically to simplify the problem.

How do you apply the Sandwich Theorem in practice?

To apply the Sandwich Theorem in practice, you must first identify the point at which the limit is being evaluated. Then, find two functions that are "sandwiched" around the original function and have the same limit at the point of interest. Evaluate the limit of these two functions, and if they have the same value, that is also the limit of the original function.