Saros cycle - from Greiner's book

• Thread starter babylonia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Cycle
This factor is derived from equation (13.27) and is necessary for the final answer to be close to the true value.
babylonia
saros cycle -- from Greiner's book

Hi,

I'm having some trouble about the calculation of saros cycle in example 13.9 of Greiner's book "classical mechanics: system of particles and hamiltonian dynamics". I am confused about the factor "3" of eqn. (13.35). This equation is derived from (13.27). However as I did it, I only got a factor "2". Obviously the factor "3" is necessary for the final answer to be close to the true value. However I can't figure out how this factor comes. (I've no idea whether this could be posted here. This is neither a homework nor a problem in the course I'm taking.)

It will really be very much appreciated if you can give me some help.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The factor of 3 is the number of times the moon's orbit around the Earth must overlap itself in order to complete a saros cycle. This is because the moon's orbit is slightly tilted relative to its orbit around the Sun, and it takes three full orbits of the moon around the Earth for it to return to the same orientation relative to the Sun.

Related to Saros cycle - from Greiner's book

What is the Saros cycle?

The Saros cycle is a period of approximately 18 years and 11 days, during which the pattern of eclipses (solar and lunar) repeats itself.

Who discovered the Saros cycle?

The Saros cycle was first discovered by the ancient Greek astronomer, Meton, in the 5th century BC.

How does the Saros cycle work?

The Saros cycle works by the alignment of the Sun, Earth, and Moon in a specific pattern that allows for eclipses to occur. As the Moon orbits the Earth, it passes through the same positions in relation to the Sun approximately every 18 years and 11 days, resulting in a repeating pattern of eclipses.

What is the significance of the Saros cycle?

The Saros cycle is significant because it allows us to predict when eclipses will occur in the future. By understanding the pattern of the Saros cycle, we can anticipate when and where eclipses will take place, which has been important for ancient cultures and modern astronomers alike.

Are there any other cycles similar to the Saros cycle?

Yes, there are other cycles similar to the Saros cycle, such as the Metonic cycle and the Inex cycle. These cycles also involve the alignment of the Sun, Earth, and Moon, but they have different time periods and patterns compared to the Saros cycle.