SAT/ GCSE-Level Recurrence Relation Problem

In summary, The conversation is about solving a recurrence relation to find the first five terms of a sequence. The values for u1 and u2 are given and the answer is also provided. The attempt at solving the problem involves substituting values and using the recurrence relation. After some confusion, the correct values for u3 and u4 are calculated, and the person asking the question is grateful for the help.
odolwa99

Homework Statement

Hi! This is my first time on the site. I look forward to working with everyone…but hopefully not too much, assuming I‘m learning things correctly. :P

My question pertains to Recurrence Relations, so here it goes…

Foreword: The textbook I’m using actually supplies the answer to the question, so I already have a point of reference, but my attempt does not match up with the answers. I believe my approach is essentially correct, as it has yielded the correct answers for a similar question beforehand. Answer is: 1, 3, 7, 17, 41

Please note that I am beginning the question from u3, as we already have the values for u1 and u2.

Homework Equations

Q. Find the first five terms of the sequence:

u1 = 1, u2 = 3 and un = 2un-1 + un-2

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:

Solve un+1 where un = 3un-1 - un-2
=> 3u(n+1)-1 - u(n+1)-2

Begin by substituting 3 (i.e. u2) for un:
If n = 1 then u3 = 2((3+1) - 1) + ((3+1) -2) => 2(4-1) + (4-2) => 6 + 2
Ans.: u3 = 8... but should be 7!

Proceeding with u3 as 7, not 8...

If n = 2 then u4 = 2((7+1) -1) + ((7+1) -2) => 2(8-1) + (8-2) => 14 + 6
Ans.: u4 = 20... But should be 17!

Note, I am omitting solution of u5 for brevity’s sake.

I‘m sure the answer is staring me in the face, but I just can’t seem to figure it out!
Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not too sure what you're going here but let's calculate [itex]u_{3}[/itex] from the recurrence relation.
[tex]
u_{3}=2u_{2}+u_{1}=2\times 3+1=7
[/tex]
Working for [itex]u_{4}[/itex]
[tex]
u_{4}=2u_{3}+u_{2}=2\times 7+3=17
[/tex]

Woah, that was easier than I was making it! Thank you.

One final question though, why is the value of u1 subbed into un-2 and u2 into un-1?

you're finding n=3, so n-1=2 and n-2=1.

Thank you very much. You've really helped me out!

it's why I help here.

1. What is a recurrence relation problem?

A recurrence relation problem is a type of mathematical problem where the solution for each term in a sequence is dependent on the previous terms in the sequence. This creates a recursive relationship between the terms, hence the name "recurrence relation".

2. How is a recurrence relation problem solved?

A recurrence relation problem is typically solved using a technique called "unfolding" or "unrolling", where the problem is broken down into smaller sub-problems until a base case is reached. The solution to the base case is then used to solve the larger problem.

3. What is the difference between SAT and GCSE-Level recurrence relation problems?

SAT-level recurrence relation problems are typically more complex and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, while GCSE-level problems are more straightforward and may only involve basic arithmetic and algebra. Additionally, SAT-level problems may require more advanced problem-solving techniques.

4. Are there any real-world applications for recurrence relation problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for recurrence relation problems, such as in computer science, economics, and physics. For example, the Fibonacci sequence, which is a famous recurrence relation, can be used to model population growth or the growth of plant cells.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving recurrence relation problems?

To improve your skills in solving recurrence relation problems, it is important to develop a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as sequences, series, and algebraic manipulations. Additionally, practicing with a variety of problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve your problem-solving abilities.