Satellite communications project

In summary: They reported good success rates with decoding images from weather satellites, but not so much with decoding images from other types of satellites. Presumably this is due to the much higher gain of weather satellites and their larger antennas relative to other types of satellites.In summary, people have been able to decode images from weather satellites with a cheap RTL-SDR dongle. However, they have had more success decoding images from other types of satellites.
ElectroFractal
Summary:: Looking for a title and an idea to do a research project on the topic of satellite communications

Hello fellow FP,

I am in desperate need for an idea to do a project, seminar, call it what you like, on the topic of satellite communications for a course. We covered the basics of satellite communications, like orbits, spectrum, digital modulation techniques, hardware. The professor didn't gave us any guidelines, didn't gave suggestions, he said just write something. When I asked for help, he told me that broadband satellite communications are stirring up some interest lately, and maybe it would be interesting to me to write about it. So, what can I do on this topic, how to develop a title, and maybe discuss some examples, some simulations would be nice, and so on.

Thanks for the much needed help, because so far I am clueless and confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about GPS satellites and how they work to provide accurate positioning?

Theres the military history behind their design and limitations.

Theres the competitors launched by other countries.

Theres the networking architecture, orbits, coverage and how they work internally ie power source ...

Likes ElectroFractal
What can you find out about the SpaceX Starlink system?

What performance will it offer customers for upload/download?
Will weather degrade performance?
How many customers can it handle?
Customer ground equipment needed?
What will the price and terms look like?
What is the competition?

Likes ElectroFractal and jedishrfu
My friends made successful attempts at receiving and decoding images from meteo-satellites using simple DIY antenna and a cheap RTL-SDR dongle.

• Informative
Likes ElectroFractal, berkeman and jedishrfu

1. What is a satellite communications project?

A satellite communications project is a scientific endeavor that involves designing, building, launching, and operating a satellite to facilitate communication between two or more locations on Earth. This project typically involves a team of engineers, scientists, and technicians who work together to achieve the project's objectives.

2. What are the benefits of satellite communications projects?

Satellite communications projects offer numerous benefits, including global coverage, reliable and secure communication, and the ability to reach remote and inaccessible areas. They also support a wide range of applications such as television broadcasting, internet connectivity, weather forecasting, and disaster management.

3. How do scientists ensure the success of a satellite communications project?

Scientists ensure the success of a satellite communications project by carefully planning and testing all aspects of the project, including the satellite's design, launch, and operation. They also use advanced technologies and conduct extensive research to address potential challenges and ensure the project's efficiency and effectiveness.

4. What are the potential challenges of a satellite communications project?

Some potential challenges of a satellite communications project include technical issues such as signal interference, orbital debris, and solar radiation. Other challenges may include regulatory and legal requirements, financial constraints, and environmental concerns. Scientists must address these challenges to ensure the success of the project.

5. What is the future of satellite communications projects?

The future of satellite communications projects looks promising, with advancements in technology and increasing demand for global connectivity. Scientists are continuously working on improving satellite capabilities, such as higher bandwidth and lower latency, to support emerging applications such as 5G networks and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Additionally, the use of satellite constellations and small satellites is expected to increase in the future, providing even more opportunities for satellite communications projects.