Satellite Velocity Homework: Calculate Distance, Acceleration, and Speed

In summary, a satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg. To calculate the distance above the surface of Earth at which the satellite must orbit, the formula Fg= G mE / r^2 is used. Using this formula, the distance is determined to be 3.0x10^6m. To calculate the acceleration of the satellite, the formula ac=v^2/r is used. However, since the direction of the acceleration is not provided, it cannot be accurately calculated. Finally, to determine the speed at which the satellite must travel to maintain this orbit, the formula v= sqrt ( GmE/r
AClass

Homework Statement

A satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg.

a) Calculate the distance above the surface of Earth at which the satellite must orbit.

b)Assuming the orbit is circular, calculate the acceleration of the satellite and its direction.

c)At what speed must the satellite travel in order to maintain this orbit?

mass of Earth : 5.98 x 10^24 kg
radius of the Earth : 6.38 x 10^6 m

Homework Equations

Fg= G mE / r^2
ac=v^2/r
v= sqrt ( GmE/r )
ac= 4Pi^2 r / T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
4.5N/Kg=G(5.98x10^24kg)/r^2

r=9.4168x10^6m

h=re-r=3.0x10^6

Distance above the surface at which the satellite must orbit is 3.0x10^6m.

b)

No clue, I have searched many resources and they fail to give any clear ideas on how to tackle this question.

c)

Using

v=sqt(GMe/r)
v=sqt(G(5.98x10^24kg)/9.4168x10^6)
v=6.5097x10^6 m/s

Seems a bit too much. Could someone verify c) and I would appreciated any help with b), also verification of a) but I think I got it.

Physics news on Phys.org
AClass said:
v=sqt(GMe/r)
v=6.5097x10^6 m/s

Seems a bit too much. Could someone verify c) and I would appreciated any help with b), also verification of a) but I think I got it.

Check your math for (c). You may have slipped up on the exponents.

For (b), consider N/kg by another name...

gneill said:
Check your math for (c). You may have slipped up on the exponents.

For (b), consider N/kg by another name...

c)
v=sqt(GMe/r)
v=6509.6776m/s
I had forgotten to take the square root.

for b)

Other sources suggested that 4.5N/Kg is equal to 4.5m/s^2, that being its only acceleration. Seems that someone else who has taken my course before had confirmed that 4.5m/s^2 is not the correct acceleration.

I believe finding the acceleration from centreifual, and circular motions is my best bet.

However, I'm limited in terms of variables.

I suspect that 'other sources' failed to provide a direction for the acceleration.

gneill said:
I suspect that 'other sources' failed to provide a direction for the acceleration.

Yes, they failed to provide a direction. All that was explained is in the direction towards the earth.

Related to Satellite Velocity Homework: Calculate Distance, Acceleration, and Speed

1. How do I calculate the distance a satellite has traveled?

To calculate the distance a satellite has traveled, you will need to know the satellite's velocity and the time it has been traveling. Use the formula: distance = velocity x time. Make sure to use consistent units for velocity and time, such as meters per second and seconds.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration of a satellite?

To calculate the acceleration of a satellite, you will need to know the change in velocity and the time it took for that change to occur. Use the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / time. Again, make sure to use consistent units for velocity and time.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed of a satellite?

The formula for calculating speed of a satellite is the same as for any other object: speed = distance / time. In this case, distance refers to the distance traveled by the satellite and time is the amount of time it took to cover that distance.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating distance, acceleration, and speed for any satellite?

Yes, the formulas for calculating distance, acceleration, and speed are the same for any satellite. However, the values you use for velocity, time, and distance may vary depending on the specific satellite and its orbit.

5. How do I convert the units for velocity and distance to match?

To convert units for velocity and distance, you can use conversion factors. For example, if your velocity is given in kilometers per hour but you need to use meters per second, you can use the conversion factor 1 km = 1000 m. Make sure to also convert the units for time accordingly.