Saudi Arabia's "The Line" -- why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the city design of "The Line" in Saudi Arabia, which aims to be a 100% clean energy, AI-enhanced city. The speaker questions the practical benefits of this linear design and points out potential issues such as blocked sunlight and single points of failure. Another participant suggests that the design may be for aesthetic and monetary reasons rather than practical ones.
person123
I just found out about Saudi Arabia's "The Line", and I don't want to mock it with my very limited knowledge (I honestly would have thought it was satire), or bring up politics behind it, or go into its lofty goals like 100% clean energy or life enhanced by AI. To me, the first question is just what the point of the basic design is.

Is there any reason at all to construct a city between two walls in a line? Distances between things would be maximized in a line, sunlight would be blocked off, the transportation along the line would have single points of failure etc. It just immediately seems like a really bad idea, and I can't find any explanation for why it's a good idea. I'm curious if anyone has ideas on practical benefits for this design.

Physics news on Phys.org
person123 said:
sunlight would be blocked off

Actually that's the only thing of these you listed that can be good, streets in hot climates are often narrow to keep them shadowy and a bit cooler (think Mediterranean).

Likes person123
person123 said:
Is there any reason
Don't overthink it. Sometimes (especially when too much money is involved) it's just 'because we can' and all the rest: the life-improving AI, the lofty ideas and politics are just added on as a veil.

Likes BillTre and fresh_42

1. What is "The Line" in Saudi Arabia?

"The Line" is a proposed futuristic city project in Saudi Arabia that aims to be completely sustainable and free from carbon emissions. It will be a 170 km long linear city that will be powered by renewable energy and will have a population of 1 million people.

2. Why is Saudi Arabia building "The Line"?

Saudi Arabia is building "The Line" as part of their Vision 2030 plan, which aims to diversify the country's economy and reduce their dependence on oil. "The Line" is seen as a way to attract investment, create job opportunities, and improve the quality of life for its citizens.

3. How will "The Line" be environmentally friendly?

"The Line" will be powered by 100% renewable energy and will have zero carbon emissions. It will also utilize advanced technologies such as AI and robotics to optimize resource consumption and reduce waste. Additionally, the city will have a green belt surrounding it to preserve nature and promote biodiversity.

4. What will be the main features and amenities of "The Line"?

"The Line" will have a futuristic design with smart infrastructure, including high-speed transportation, digital services, and advanced healthcare facilities. The city will also have educational institutions, recreational areas, and cultural centers to cater to the needs of its residents.

5. When will "The Line" be completed and open to the public?

Construction of "The Line" is expected to begin in early 2021, and the first phase is projected to be completed by 2025. The entire city is planned to be completed by 2030, with the first residents moving in by then.