Saving SQL queries in .sql file -- What Program to Use?

In summary, the speaker is asking for a program to use for saving .sql files and suggests using plain old Notepad or a text editor with syntax highlighting. Other participants recommend using Microsoft SQL, SQL Server Management Studio, or Visual Studio, but the speaker does not have access to those programs. The speaker mentions that Notepad++ and gedit are options with SQL syntax.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I have some queries to do, which I want to save as an .sql file. What program can I /must I use to do this?

I think I remember at some point using plain old Notepad to write the queries, since these are made
of standard English commands, nothing too fancy. Would this work?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, a .sql file is simply a text file.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and WWGD
a .sql file is just a text file, but I would recommend mapping that extension to a text editor that does syntax highlighting at least. If it's Microsoft SQL, SQL Server Management Studio or Visual Studio are great and have autocomplete and all sorts of other great stuff.

DavidSnider said:
a .sql file is just a text file, but I would recommend mapping that extension to a text editor that does syntax highlighting at least. If it's Microsoft SQL, SQL Server Management Studio or Visual Studio are great and have autocomplete and all sorts of other great stuff.

Problem is I don't have those programs.

WWGD said:
Problem is I don't have those programs.

Notepad++ knows SQL syntax.

Likes WWGD
gedit is my favorite.

Related to Saving SQL queries in .sql file -- What Program to Use?

1. What is the purpose of saving SQL queries in .sql files?

The main purpose of saving SQL queries in .sql files is to have a structured and organized way of storing and accessing frequently used SQL commands. This can save time and effort when executing complex or repetitive queries.

2. Can any program be used to save SQL queries in .sql files?

Yes, there are various programs that can be used to save SQL queries in .sql files, such as text editors like Notepad or specialized SQL editors like SQL Server Management Studio or MySQL Workbench.

3. Is it necessary to use a specific file format when saving SQL queries?

While .sql is the most commonly used file format for SQL queries, it is not a requirement. Some programs may offer the option to save in other formats, such as .txt, but it is recommended to stick with .sql for consistency and compatibility.

4. How can I organize and manage my saved SQL queries?

Many programs offer features for organizing and managing saved SQL queries, such as creating folders or categories, adding descriptions or comments, and even creating shortcuts for frequently used queries. These features can help keep your queries organized and easily accessible.

5. Is it possible to edit and execute SQL queries directly from the .sql file?

Yes, most programs allow you to open and edit .sql files directly, and some also offer the option to execute the queries directly from the file. This can be useful for quick changes or testing without having to open the program itself.