Scattering Amplitude for Many Particles (Born Approximation)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the scattering amplitude of four atoms placed in the corners of a square of length a and two atoms a distance d apart. The total scattering amplitude can be written as f_{total}(\vec{q})=f_{1}(\vec{q})\sum_{i=1}^{n}e^{-i(\vec{q}\cdot \vec{r}_{i})}, where \vec{r}_{i} is a vector that points from the origin to a particle. For the case of the square, the sum is equal to 4cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{x})cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{y}). The conversation also discusses the possibility
Rubiss

Homework Statement

Given that the scattering amplitude off of a single atom is [tex] f_{1}(\vec{q}), [/tex] find the scattering amplitude for 1) four atoms each placed in the corner of a square of length a, and 2) two atoms a distance d apart

Homework Equations

The total scattering amplitude can be written as

[tex] f_{total}(\vec{q})=f_{1}(\vec{q})\sum_{i=1}^{n}e^{-i(\vec{q}\cdot \vec{r}_{i})} [/tex]

where [tex] \vec{r}_{i} [/tex] is a vector that points from the origin to a particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the square of side a, I place the origin at the center and assume the particles are in the xy plane. That means particle 1 (in quadrant 1) would be at the location (a/2,a/2), particle 2 would be at (-a/2,a/2), particle 3 would be at (-a/2,-a/2), and particle 4 would be at (a/2,-a/2). The sum is then

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{4}e^{-i(\vec{q}\cdot \vec{r}_{i})}
= e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{-a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{-a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{-a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{-a}{2}))}
=4\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{x})\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{y}) [/tex]

The problem is that according to the solution, there should be √2 in the denominator instead of 2. Can anyone see where I am going wrong?

I also know that for a cube of length a with a particle at each corner, the scattering amplitude is

[tex]f_{total}(\vec{q})=8\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{x})\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{y}) \cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{z})[/tex]

where now 2 in the denominator is correct. So, if there is any pattern, I would expect the scattering amplitude for the the 2 atoms a distance d apart (on the x axis) to look something like

[tex]f_{total}(\vec{q})=2\cos(\frac{d}{2^{\frac{1}{4}}}q_{x})[/tex]

If this is correct, I can't get this to fall out of the math. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 1/√2 comes from the dot product. Remember that a[itex]\bullet[/itex]r = |a|*|r|*Cos(θ).

jonnynuke said:
The 1/√2 comes from the dot product. Remember that a[itex]\bullet[/itex]r = |a|*|r|*Cos(θ).

I'm well aware of that. I calculated the dot product above in component form: I resolved q into x and y components and the vector r into its components for eacf particle. Particle 1 had a x component of a/2 and a y component of a/2, particle 2 etc. Calculating the dot product your way does not allow one to resolve q into its components, as it is in the supposed answer.

Rubiss said:
I'm well aware of that. I calculated the dot product above in component form: I resolved q into x and y components and the vector r into its components for eacf particle. Particle 1 had a x component of a/2 and a y component of a/2, particle 2 etc. Calculating the dot product your way does not allow one to resolve q into its components, as it is in the supposed answer.

You're right, and actually I believe the answer should have a factor of 2, not square root of 2. Solving the two atom problem gives me a factor of 2 in the denominator and not square or quartic root of 2. Perhaps the solutions are incorrect?

Your calculations seem to be correct. However, the discrepancy in the denominator may be due to the fact that the particles are not evenly spaced in the square configuration. In the cube configuration, the particles are evenly spaced in all three dimensions, hence the factor of 2 in the denominator.

For the two atoms a distance d apart, your proposed scattering amplitude formula seems to be correct. However, it may be more accurate to write it as:

f_{total}(\vec{q})=2\cos(\frac{d}{2}q_{x})\cos(\frac{d}{2}q_{y})\cos(\frac{d}{2}q_{z})

This takes into account the fact that the atoms are separated in all three dimensions, not just the x-axis.

It is also worth noting that the Born approximation is only valid for small scattering angles, and may not accurately describe the scattering for larger angles or when the particles are in close proximity. Further analysis and calculations may be necessary to accurately describe the scattering for these cases.

Related to Scattering Amplitude for Many Particles (Born Approximation)

1. What is the Born Approximation in scattering amplitude for many particles?

The Born Approximation is a method used to calculate the scattering amplitude for a system of many particles. It assumes that the interaction between the particles is weak, and therefore the scattered wave is a linear superposition of individual particle scattering amplitudes. This approximation is often used in nuclear and atomic physics, as well as in quantum field theory.

2. How is the Born Approximation derived?

The Born Approximation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. By solving the Schrödinger equation for a system of many particles, and assuming weak interactions, the Born Approximation can be derived as an approximation to the full scattering amplitude.

3. What are the limitations of the Born Approximation?

The Born Approximation is only valid when the interaction between particles is weak. If the interaction is strong, higher order terms in the scattering amplitude must be considered. Additionally, the Born Approximation assumes that the particles are distinguishable, and does not take into account any quantum effects such as particle indistinguishability or exchange interactions.

4. Can the Born Approximation be extended to include strong interactions?

Yes, the Born Approximation can be extended to include strong interactions by including higher order terms in the scattering amplitude. This is known as the Born-Oppenheimer approximation and is commonly used in molecular and condensed matter physics.

5. How is the Born Approximation used in experimental measurements?

The Born Approximation is often used as a theoretical framework to analyze experimental data in scattering experiments. By comparing the measured scattering amplitude to the theoretical predictions from the Born Approximation, researchers can gain insights into the properties and interactions of the particles being studied.