Schrödinger equation where V = |x|

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding analytical solutions for the stationary Schrödinger equation with a potential of V = |x|. The use of Airy functions as solutions for similar potentials is mentioned, but it is noted that this potential presents challenges due to its discontinuity at x = 0. The discussion also includes suggestions for numerical solutions and possible ways to approach the problem, as well as mentioning its relevance in theoretical physics exams. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look for similar problems in textbooks for potential solutions.
ledamage
Hi there!

I'm looking for the solutions of the stationary Schrödinger equation for a potential of the type

[tex]V = |x|[/tex]

I know that the Airy functions are the solutions to the SE where [itex]V \sim x[/itex] but for the above mentioned potential ... I can't find it -- neither in books nor on the net. Do you have some hints?

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
I can Imagine it to be really hard to find analytical solutions to that one since |x| is not continuous at x = 0.

I would personally have done numerical solutions.

Can you tells us more why you are looking for solutions, what is the orignal problem etc, maybe someone can help you more.

malawi_glenn said:
I can Imagine it to be really hard to find analytical solutions to that one since |x| is not continuous at x = 0.

Well, it is, but it's derivative is not.

Odd solutions wouldn't be so bad, but even ones might be a bit tricky to handle, since there's no second derivative at that point.

malawi_glenn said:
Can you tells us more why you are looking for solutions, what is the orignal problem etc, maybe someone can help you more.

Actually, I read that some of our professors ask this question in the theoretical physics exam and I've begun to wonder when I didn't find this problem in the literature.

ledamage said:
Actually, I read that some of our professors ask this question in the theoretical physics exam and I've begun to wonder when I didn't find this problem in the literature.

Oh that was not good news =/

i must admit i am not aware of the properties of airy , but have you tried spliting the line when x is greater than or equal to zero and when x is less than zero and then solving the TISE in both part seperatly (with equal energies). Finally as you require that the wavefunction and its first derivative must be continuous at zero you will have to use the properties of the two airy functions at zero to either get quatised energy ar some other property.

For [itex]x>0[/itex], after some rescaling of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]E[/itex], the time-indpendent Schrodinger equation is
[tex]-\psi''(x) + x\psi(x) = E\psi(x),[/tex]
and the solution that does not blow up as [itex]x\to +\infty[/itex] is
[tex]\psi(x) = {\rm Ai}(x{-}E),[/tex]
up to overall normalization. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_function for Airy function info.) Then, since [itex]V(x)[/itex] is even, [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] must be even or odd. If odd, [itex]\psi(0)=0[/itex], and so [itex]-E[/itex] must be a zero of [itex]{\rm Ai}(x)[/itex]. This is the energy-eigenvalue condition for odd eigenfunctions. If even, [itex]\psi'(0)=0[/itex], and so [itex]-E[/itex] must be a zero of [itex]{\rm Ai}'(x)[/itex]. This is the energy-eigenvalue condition for even eigenfunctions.

ledamage said:

The literature? I'd try looking around throught some textbooks. For example, I'm almost absolutely positive that you will find the "quantum bouncing ball" potential problem in various textbooks (the quantum bouncing ball is the same potential you are interested in for x>0 but infinite at x=<0)... try Grifffiths maybe?

Related to Schrödinger equation where V = |x|

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time.

2. What does the "V = |x|" term in the Schrödinger equation represent?

The "V = |x|" term in the Schrödinger equation represents the potential energy of the system, which is dependent on the position of the particle in space.

3. How does the "V = |x|" potential affect the behavior of the quantum system?

The "V = |x|" potential creates a barrier or "well" that the particle can either tunnel through or be confined within, depending on its energy level. This potential is commonly used to model situations where a particle is confined to a certain region, such as an electron in an atom.

4. Can the Schrödinger equation with "V = |x|" potential be solved analytically?

No, the Schrödinger equation with "V = |x|" potential cannot be solved analytically for all cases. It is a highly complex equation and numerical methods are often used to find solutions.

5. What are some applications of the Schrödinger equation with "V = |x|" potential?

The Schrödinger equation with "V = |x|" potential is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and solid state physics. It is also used in engineering, chemistry, and materials science to model and understand the behavior of quantum systems and materials.