Schrödinger Equation (why are U and -x^2 =0?)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between U and -x^2 being equal to 0. The speaker has already found a procedure but is unsure if it is correct. They also mention that U cannot be chosen as 0 and x is an independent variable. The other speaker asks for clarification on the reasoning behind the procedure.
Que7i
New poster has been reminded to use LaTeX for math equations (not pictures of their work)
Homework Statement
A subatomic particle with mass m is in a one-dimensional potential well. The potential energy is infinite for x < −L and for x > +L, while for −L < x < L, the potential energy is given by:U(x) =(−ℏ^2x^2)/(mL^2(L^2 − x^2)
The particle is in a stationary state described by the wave function 𝜓(x) = A(1 − x^2/L^2)
for −L < x < +L and by 𝜓(x) = 0 elsewhere. (Assume A is a positive, real constant.)
What is the total energy E of the system in terms of ℏ, m, and L?
Relevant Equations
-ℏ/(2m)d^2𝜓/dx^2+U𝜓=E𝜓
I've already found out how to do it, but, either I got lucky and my procedure is wrong or I just don't get it. Why are U and -x^2 equal 0?
1658321022479.png
1658320980320.png

Attachments

• 1658320869118.png
    1658320869118.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot pick ##U = 0##, it is given in the problem to be a particular function of x. Furthermore ##x## is an independent variable that can take any value between ##-L## and ##L##.

Likes malawi_glenn
Que7i said:
I've already found out how to do it, but, either I got lucky and my procedure is wrong or I just don't get it. Why are U and -x^2 equal 0?
I can't tell what your reasoning is from your work. Could you explain to us what you're doing?

Likes malawi_glenn

What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

Why is the Schrödinger Equation important?

The Schrödinger Equation is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location in space. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and has applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing.

What is the meaning of the symbols U and -x^2 in the Schrödinger Equation?

U represents the potential energy of the system, which is the energy associated with the position of the particle. -x^2 represents the kinetic energy of the particle, which is the energy associated with its motion. In the Schrödinger Equation, these two energies are equal to each other, meaning that the total energy of the system is constant.

Why is the Schrödinger Equation equal to 0?

The Schrödinger Equation is equal to 0 because it is a differential equation, meaning that it describes the change in a function over time. In this case, the function is the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. When the equation is equal to 0, it means that the wave function is not changing over time, indicating a stable system.

Can the Schrödinger Equation be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Schrödinger Equation cannot be solved exactly. However, there are certain simplified systems where an exact solution is possible. In most cases, numerical methods or approximations are used to solve the equation and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.