Science Fair Project involving Vectors

In summary, the conversation is about a high school sophomore's science fair project on calculating the amount of force sustained from a fall off a horse at different heights and gaits. They are also looking into whether certified helmets offer enough protection for the skull. The project requires understanding of vectors and their calculations, which the student is struggling with. Suggestions are made for simplifying the concept of vectors and conducting experiments to obtain accurate results. Additional resources are also provided for further understanding.
Maggie Tarmey

Homework Statement

My science fair project (high school sophomore) is about calculating the amount of force that is sustained from a fall off of a horse at different heights at different gaits (speeds). I would then compare the force sustained in the fall and compare it to what certified helmets are qualified to protect against and see if they offer enough protection to the skull. My old science teacher recommended that I research vectors, and that was how I would be able to calculate the force.
However, everything about vectors that I find is very far over my head. I was wondering if anyone here could either show me a link or explain to me in a dumb ed-down way what exactly vectors are, how to calculate the force from them, and what data I need to gather (if I need any more) in order to be able to calculate the force. My current science experience was last year's (honors) combination of Earth science and very basic physics and the beginning of this year's honors chemistry course.

Homework Equations

I'm looking to learn how to calculate vector forces, so whatever equation(s) are used for that I suppose?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've asked my science teacher from last year, and all he told me was to research vectors. Everything I found was way over my head so I'd like to know if there is a certain website or video where it is simplified to an easier to understand level.

Physics news on Phys.org
a vector simply describes the magnitude and direction of a thing (in your case a force), whereas what you are probably used to are called scalars, which is just the magnitude of the thing.
For instance [itex]F=3\hat{i}[/itex] N is a vector.
This says the force is 3 N in the [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] direction, whereas just saying [itex]F=3[/itex]N is a scalar, and that force could be in any direction.

You can find an explanation of some basic operations with vectors here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/vectors.html

I imagine you will have a difficult time getting any kind of acceptable accuracy through calculations alone. It would probably be easier and more accurate for you to do an experiment.

Here's my advice for such a thing - buy an accelerometer, cantelope, and a helmet. Weigh the cantelope/helmet/accelerometer together. Put the cantelope in the helmet with the accelerometer, and drop it from head height while riding at different speeds. Then use F = m*a and calculate the maximum force during the initial impact for each trial.

1. What is a vector in science?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How are vectors used in science fair projects?

Vectors can be used in science fair projects in a variety of ways. They can be used to represent forces, motion, or other physical quantities. For example, a project could involve using vectors to analyze the forces acting on an object or to predict the path of a moving object.

3. What are some examples of science fair projects involving vectors?

Some examples of science fair projects involving vectors include analyzing the forces acting on a pendulum, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and designing a roller coaster using vector analysis.

4. How can I incorporate vectors into my science fair project?

To incorporate vectors into your science fair project, you can start by choosing a topic that involves physical quantities or motion. Then, you can use vector analysis to analyze and predict the behavior of these quantities. Additionally, you can create visual representations of vectors using diagrams or computer simulations to enhance your project.

5. Do I need to have a strong math background to do a science fair project involving vectors?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful, you do not need to have a strong math background to do a science fair project involving vectors. There are many resources available online that can help you understand the concepts and calculations involved in vector analysis. Additionally, you can seek guidance from your teacher or mentor for any specific questions or difficulties you may have.