Searching for information on the General Electric J31 engine

In summary, the speaker is looking for technical information about a specific engine and also information about similar engines from the same time period. They have already checked the "See also" and "References" sections of the Wikipedia article and are now asking for help finding performance analysis data. They mention that they have already done a Google search and found some information but are looking for more.
jesusnd12
Hi,
I am currently trying to do a project related to this engine and I am trying to find information about it. I am looking for technical papers, journals or overall description of the inner workings of the engine. I am looking forward for something more in depth than wikipedia.

Also, information about engines from similar years (IIWW years) would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Have you gone through the "See also" and "References" sections of that wikipedia article already?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_J31
Thank you for that ! Do you know where can I find performance analysis data?

Likes jesusnd12 and berkeman

1. What is the history of the General Electric J31 engine?

The General Electric J31 engine was first developed in 1942 as a turbojet engine for military aircraft during World War II. It was later used in commercial aircraft such as the Boeing 707 and the Convair 880. The engine was also used in military aircraft such as the F-86 Sabre and the F-84 Thunderjet.

2. What are the specifications of the General Electric J31 engine?

The General Electric J31 engine has a maximum thrust of 4,000 pounds and a weight of 1,400 pounds. It has a length of 14 feet and a diameter of 3 feet. The engine operates at a maximum temperature of 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and can reach a maximum speed of 550 miles per hour.

3. How does the General Electric J31 engine work?

The General Electric J31 engine is a single-spool, axial-flow turbojet engine. Air enters the engine through the inlet and is compressed by a series of rotating blades. Fuel is then injected and ignited, creating a high-pressure gas that expands and exits the engine through the exhaust nozzle, producing thrust.

4. What advancements were made to the General Electric J31 engine over the years?

Over the years, the General Electric J31 engine underwent several advancements, including the addition of an afterburner in the J31-GE-7 model, which increased the engine's thrust and speed. The engine also underwent improvements in materials and manufacturing processes, resulting in increased reliability and efficiency.

5. Is the General Electric J31 engine still in use today?

No, the General Electric J31 engine is no longer in use today. It was replaced by more advanced and efficient engines in the 1960s. However, some J31 engines can still be found in museums or on display at air shows, showcasing its historical significance in aviation technology.