Second order inhomogeneous differentiel equation.

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the solution for a specific differential equation. The speaker mentions solving the homogenous equation and finding the general solution, but is unsure of how to find the ansatz function. Another speaker suggests a possible solution, and the first speaker confirms that it works.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone,

Homework Statement

I shall find the solution for the following differential equation:
[tex] y''(x)+2y'(x)+y(x)=x^{2}+3 [/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

At first solved the homogenous equation and found the general solution for the homogenous as the following:

[tex] y(x)=e^{-x}+xe^{-x}[/tex]

Now I have to find an ansatz function I guess, but I don't know how to do this. I tried At³ but didn't work. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Try
[tex]y=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Thanks, I guess that worked if I've done it correctly :smile:

It's easy enough to check. Just plug your solution into the LHS of the equation and see if you get the RHS when you simplify.

Related to Second order inhomogeneous differentiel equation.

1. What is a second order inhomogeneous differential equation?

A second order inhomogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, along with the function itself and any constants or coefficients. The term "inhomogeneous" means that the equation contains a non-zero constant term, making it non-homogeneous.

2. How is a second order inhomogeneous differential equation different from a first order equation?

The main difference between a second order and a first order inhomogeneous differential equation is that the former involves the second derivative of the function, while the latter only involves the first derivative. This means that a second order equation is more complex and requires more information to solve.

3. What are some real-life applications of second order inhomogeneous differential equations?

Second order inhomogeneous differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. They can be used to model systems that involve acceleration, oscillation, or electrical circuits.

4. What are the general steps for solving a second order inhomogeneous differential equation?

The general steps for solving a second order inhomogeneous differential equation are as follows: 1) Identify the type of equation and its order, 2) Rewrite the equation in standard form, 3) Find the complementary function by solving the associated homogeneous equation, 4) Find the particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters, and 5) Combine the complementary function and particular solution to obtain the general solution.

5. Are there any techniques for solving second order inhomogeneous differential equations?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving second order inhomogeneous differential equations, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of equations. It is important to understand the characteristics of the equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.