Second order(?) ODE + Runge-Kutta method question

In summary, the problem states that T will be input at the beginning of running the program, and it runs for a specific timeframe, so I guess they are just inputting values to see how the program calculates the results.
cscott0001

Homework Statement

When a rocket launches, it burns fuel at a constant rate of (kg/s) as it accelerates, maintaining a constant thrust of T. The weight of the rocket, including fuel is 1200 kg (including 900 kg of fuel). So, the mass of the rocket changes as it accelerates:

[tex]m(t) = 1200 - m_ft[/tex]

We’ll assume that the rocket experiences a drag force proportional to the square of velocity. Using Newton’s Second Law of Motion, we can write down the equation of the height of the rocket y(t) as a function of time, t. Namely,

[tex]m(t)(\frac{d^2y}{dt^2})=T-m(t)g-c_d(\frac{dy}{dt})^2[/tex]

Assume an initial height of y(0)=0 and an initial velocity of dy/dt(0)=0. g = 9.81. Return a vector of t-values and a vector of y values.

It's a programming assignment, so the values for T, mf, and cd, along with the range of t to solve for, are meant to be inputs.

I have never taken a differential equations class, so I'm having difficulties figuring out what I have and where to go from here to get the the point where I can use numerical methods to solve for position. I believe I have an equation for acceleration and mass, and I need to find the positions. I'm given an initial velocity of a velocity function, but I am not given a velocity function, am I to find that first?

Homework Equations

Besides what's given above, I have the Runga-Kutta equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten far in any attempts, mostly because I'm completely stuck in the differential equation step, of which I'm not familiar with any formulas or processes. My only attempt involved setting the second equation to a function of (t,y) for (t,dy/dt) and used RK to find dy/dt, but that went to negative infinity immediately.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been awhile since I tackled one of these, but the idea is to break the second order equation into 2 equations which are linked.
Let velocity v = y' where the prime (' mark) indicates derivative with respect to time. Now when you see y'' (or d2y/dt2), replace that with v', since acceleration is the dv/dt.
Then you use your Runge Kutta formula to numerically evaluate for v(t) and y(t), in steps, getting the next y and v values for each time step. Then keep going.

That makes sense, I'll start with this. Thank you!

Likes scottdave
cscott0001 said:

Homework Statement

When a rocket launches, it burns fuel at a constant rate of (kg/s) as it accelerates, maintaining a constant thrust of T. The weight of the rocket, including fuel is 1200 kg (including 900 kg of fuel). So, the mass of the rocket changes as it accelerates:

[tex]m(t) = 1200 - m_ft[/tex]

We’ll assume that the rocket experiences a drag force proportional to the square of velocity. Using Newton’s Second Law of Motion, we can write down the equation of the height of the rocket y(t) as a function of time, t. Namely,

[tex]m(t)(\frac{d^2y}{dt^2})=T-m(t)g-c_d(\frac{dy}{dt})^2[/tex]

Your differential equation is incorrect: you need to include a thrust term, related to the rate of backward momentum transfer of the exhaust gasses (causing a forward push on the rocket body itself, via Newton's third law). That requires a value for the velocity of the exhaust gasses relative to the rocket engine's exhaust nozzle. Nowadays, some of that data is unclassified and so is publicly available for various types of rocket engines; see, eg., http://earthweb.ess.washington.edu/space/ess472/Lecture_RocketDynamics.pdf ,
which contains a small table of such values on page 5. I do not much like the treatment of rocket dynamics in that article, but much prefer
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...fall-2009/lecture-notes/MIT16_07F09_Lec14.pdf .
That article has on pages 8-9 an example that includes worked examples that use some data on exhaust velocities.

Ray Vickson said:
Your differential equation is incorrect: you need to include a thrust term, related to the rate of backward momentum transfer of the exhaust gasses (causing a forward push on the rocket body itself, via Newton's third law). That requires a value for the velocity of the exhaust gasses ...
I agree with what you're saying. It looks like the T value is intended to be thrust. From what I gathered in the problem statement, it seems that this is more of an exercise to take a formula and get it into a workable computer program, rather than actual thrust rocket values. The problem states that T will be input at the beginning of running the program, and it runs for a specific timeframe, so I guess they are just inputting values to see how the program responds.

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its independent variable, and its derivatives up to the second order. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is the Runge-Kutta method?

The Runge-Kutta method is a numerical method used to solve differential equations. It is a higher-order method that uses several iterations to approximate the solution of an ODE. It is widely used due to its accuracy and efficiency in solving complex differential equations.

3. How does the Runge-Kutta method work?

The Runge-Kutta method works by breaking down the differential equation into small intervals and using a weighted average of the slope at different points within the interval to approximate the solution. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. When is the Runge-Kutta method used?

The Runge-Kutta method is used when it is not possible to find an analytical solution for a differential equation. It is also useful when dealing with complex systems with multiple variables and when a high level of accuracy is required in the solution.

5. What are the advantages of using the Runge-Kutta method?

The Runge-Kutta method has several advantages, including its high accuracy, versatility in solving different types of differential equations, and computational efficiency. It also allows for a more detailed analysis of complex systems and can handle stiff equations that other methods may struggle with.