Second order reaction, conversion in a CSTR

In summary, a second order reaction is a chemical reaction where the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of two reactants. A CSTR is a type of reactor that continuously stirs the contents for efficient mixing and reaction. Conversion in a CSTR is calculated by comparing the concentration of the reactant at the inlet and outlet, and it can be affected by factors such as reactant concentration, temperature, pressure, catalyst, and reactor design. In a CSTR, a higher concentration of reactants in a second order reaction will result in a higher conversion, while a lower concentration will result in a lower conversion.
MichelV

Homework Statement

We have a second order reaction: A + B → C + D with -rA = k[A][ B]
[A]0 = [ B]0 = 300 mol / m3; τ = 11 minutes.
k = 4.0 × 10-4 m3 / (mol × minutes)

What is the conversion in a CSTR?

Homework Equations

I think:

τ = ([A]0 - [A]1) / -rA,1

τ = (XA × [A]0) / -rA,1

But since I don't know the conversion, I don't know the concentrations at the CSTR output. And because I don't have a volume or flow rate I don't know how to proceed.

The Attempt at a Solution

1 / [A] = 1 / [A]0 + kt

1 / [A] = 1 / 300 + 4.0×10-4×11
1 / [A] = 0.0077333

[A] = [ B] = 129.3 mol

-rA = 4.0 × 10-4 × 129.32
-rA = 6.688

Rearranging the second formula in the relevant equations for X gives:

XA = (-rA,1 × τ) / [A]0

XA = (6.688 × 11) / 300

XA = 0.25

But the answer should be 0.43 and I don't know how to get there.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Michel, :welcome:

You have to sort out your equations a little better. These really won't do; the dimensions don't fit.

Set up a differntial equation for [A] (or ) and solve it. The 0.43 is correct.

[edit]sorry, bad response. The 129.3 is correct. So: what is the conversion ?

MichelV said:
1 / [A] = 1 / [A]0 + kt
Is the solution of the differential equation I mentioned. (It's good to check how this was deducted!) In your excercise, t = ##\tau## and so you can calculate [A] = 0.007733 mol / m3 after 11 min. And the conversion (it is not 0.43).

Likes MichelV
MichelV said:
And because I don't have a volume or flow rate I don't know how to proceed.
You only need their ratio, ##\tau##.

BvU said:
Is the solution of the differential equation I mentioned. (It's good to check how this was deducted!) In your excercise, t = ##\tau## and so you can calculate [A] = 0.007733 mol / m3 after 11 min. And the conversion (it is not 0.43).

Thank you for the help. I've looked at the differential equation and it makes much more sense now.

If we know that [A] = 129,3 mol / m3 at the output of the CSTR and we know that X = 1 - ([A] / [A]0) this means that:

X = 1 - (129.3 / 300) = 0.57

So the conversion for this reaction in a CSTR is 57%.

I believe this should be the correct answer.

##\tau## is supposed to be the mean residence time in the CSTR. If F is the feed rate, then the steady state mass balance on the reactor is $$F(A_{in}-A_{out})=-rV$$ where V is the volume of liquid in the reactor and $$r=kA_{out} B_{out}$$So, $$(A_{in}-A_{out})=-k\tau A_{out} B_{out}$$where ##\tau=V/F##. If X represents the number of moles of A (per unit volume) converted, then $$A_{out}=A_{in}-X$$and $$B_{out}=B_{in}-X$$So, combining these equations, we get: $$k\tau(A_{in}-X)(B_{in}-X)=X$$
Solve this quadratic equation for X.

This gives a 43% conversion.

Last edited:
Likes MichelV
Chestermiller said:
##\tau## is supposed to be the mean residence time in the CSTR. If F is the feed rate, then the steady state mass balance on the reactor is $$F(A_{in}-A_{out})=-rV$$ where V is the volume of liquid in the reactor and $$r=kA_{out} B_{out}$$So, $$(A_{in}-A_{out})=-k\tau A_{out} B_{out}$$where ##\tau=V/F##. If X represents the number of moles of A (per unit volume) converted, then $$A_{out}=A_{in}-X$$and $$B_{out}=B_{in}-X$$So, combining these equations, we get: $$k\tau(A_{in}-X)(B_{in}-X)=X$$
Solve this quadratic equation for X.

This gives a 43% conversion.

Thank you for the clear explanation! I got it now.

My apologies for leading you astray. Too quick to respond and too slow thinking. Thanks Chet !

1. What is a second order reaction?

A second order reaction is a chemical reaction in which the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of two reactants. This means that the rate of the reaction increases as the concentrations of both reactants increase.

2. What is a CSTR?

A CSTR (Continuous Stirred-Tank Reactor) is a type of reactor used in industrial processes for chemical reactions. It consists of a tank with an agitator that continuously stirs the contents, allowing for efficient mixing and reaction.

3. How is conversion calculated in a CSTR?

Conversion is calculated by dividing the amount of reactant that has been converted into product by the initial amount of reactant. In a CSTR, this can be measured by comparing the concentration of the reactant at the inlet and outlet of the reactor.

4. What factors affect conversion in a CSTR?

The conversion in a CSTR can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of reactants, temperature, pressure, and the type of catalyst used. The design and operation of the CSTR, such as the residence time and mixing efficiency, can also impact the conversion.

5. How does a second order reaction affect the conversion in a CSTR?

In a second order reaction, the rate of reaction is dependent on the concentration of two reactants. This means that a higher concentration of both reactants will result in a higher rate of reaction and therefore a higher conversion in the CSTR. Conversely, a lower concentration of reactants will result in a lower conversion in the CSTR.