Second Order RLC Circuit: Find DEQ & Circuit for Time t>0

In summary, at T=0, the voltage across the inductor is 20-VL and the current through it is iL. At T=inf, the voltage across the inductor is 0 and the current through it is 0.
Roy Fokker

Homework Statement

Find DEQ, circuit for time t>0.
upload_2015-10-4_21-32-37.png

Homework Equations

Ic= CdVc/dt
Vl=LdiL/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

At T=inf
L Short , C Open
IL(inf)=4mA, VL(inf)=0, Ic(inf)=0, Vc(inf)=0

T=0-

All at 0

T=0+
L=Open C=Short
IL(0+)=0, VL(0+)=0, Ic(0+)=4mA, Vc(0+)=0

20v=L diL/dt + Vc + iL5k

I need to make a sub for iL but I feel that I am wrong in my subbing in.
iL= Vc/2k + C dVc/dt

I keep wanting to just say iL=Vs/5k but I need to account for the transient effect of the cap charging and discharging... it just seems odd not to include R1 in iL since that's how I came up with it in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding your initial conditions, the values for the current and voltage of inductors and capacitors cannot change instantaneously (discontinuously), so the values at 0- are the same as the values at 0+ (but I haven't had a chance to look closely at your work yet).

Here's a hint to avoid substitutions: you can write one nodal equation and solve for that, and you can derive all of the currents using that.

Yes Vc(0-)=Vc(0+) and iL(0+)=iL(0-)

But can't current can change instantaneously in a capacitor and voltage can instantaneously change in an inductor.
I say this because the equations for Ic and Vl where the derivatives are time based so it would.. at T=0 be zero.
Ic(0-)=0ma because the circuit is not complete and no current flows.
Ic(0+)=4ma because the capacitor is seen as a short so all current flows here?
I got 4ma from 20v/2k = 4ma

Roy Fokker said:
Yes Vc(0-)=Vc(0+) and iL(0+)=iL(0-)

But can't current can change instantaneously in a capacitor and voltage can instantaneously change in an inductor.
I say this because the equations for Ic and Vl where the derivatives are time based so it would.. at T=0 be zero.
Ic(0-)=0ma because the circuit is not complete and no current flows.
Ic(0+)=4ma because the capacitor is seen as a short so all current flows here?
I got 4ma from 20v/2k = 4ma

The main focus really is on the initial conditions (voltage for capacitor, current for inductor).

What exactly are you trying to describe with the circuit? You say you want the differential equation, but the differential equation for what? I suggest the nodal equation method using the capacitor voltage, because it would allow you to find any other value of the circuit easily (and it only requires one equation).

You equations from what I can tell are incorrect. For instance, your expression for iL is a little off. Write Kirchoff's current law at that junction to see that you're missing a term (and a sign).

I suppose I have some freedom to solve the deq for what I want. I guess i can leave it in the form of Vs= d^2/dt(x) + d/dt(y) +c
Ok so I am going over my equations and looking at the node equations as you suggested.

KCL

I1=I2+I3+I4

(20-VL)/5k = LdiL/dt + CdVc/dt + Vc/ 2k

**Kinda confused here** since LdiL/dt = VL
Can I just integrate all this? I am sure I am making this more difficult that it has to be..
But I know IL... will be ... (20-VL)/5k

Then

iL=Vc/2k + CdVc/dt + (20-VL)/5k

Man I really need to get working with latex :)

Roy Fokker said:
But I know IL... will be ... (20-VL)/5k

Why?

Also, notice in your KCL equation, the first term on the right side is the voltage across the inductor (not the current through it). Also notice that VL = VC.

I was just staring at the same thing... Totally not right.
I am looking at it from a steady state point of view.

I see that since this is all in parallel I could say VL=VC.
The inductor current is confusing me since it has no resistance. All I can see to do is integrate?

Integral VL/L and that would be the current I2?

Or I could just leave it as IL and make substitutions for VC = VL

Last edited:
Ok so I did some fixin.

(20-VL)/5k = IL + CdVc/dt + Vc/ 2k

since VC = VL

(20-VL)/5k = IL + CdVL/dt + VL/ 2k

in the end...

IL= -d^2IL/dt (LC) - dIL/dt (L 700m) + 4m

My instinct would be to go after the node voltage as was previously suggested. With that, all the other currents can be found in a straightforward manner.

Use the fundamental relationships for voltage and current for the reactive components to construct your node equation, solve the DE, then determine the individual currents:

##v_C = \frac{1}{C} \int{i_C dt}##

##i_C = C \frac{dv_C}{dt}##

##v_L = L \frac{di_L}{dt}##

##i_L = \frac{1}{L} \int{v_L dt}##

(An aside: You'll be really happy to know that when you've covered Laplace Transforms, solving this sort of problem becomes almost trivial :smile:)

What is a Second Order RLC Circuit?

A Second Order RLC (Resistor-Inductor-Capacitor) Circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a combination of resistors, inductors, and capacitors. It is a type of circuit that has two energy storage elements, unlike first order circuits which only have one.

What are the components of a Second Order RLC Circuit?

The components of a Second Order RLC Circuit include a resistor, an inductor, and a capacitor. These components are connected in various configurations to create different types of RLC circuits, such as series RLC circuits and parallel RLC circuits.

What is the purpose of a Second Order RLC Circuit?

The purpose of a Second Order RLC Circuit is to filter and shape electrical signals. It can be used in electronic devices to improve the quality of signals, stabilize voltage output, and reduce noise interference.

What is the difference between a series and parallel Second Order RLC Circuit?

A series Second Order RLC Circuit has all the components connected in a single loop, while a parallel Second Order RLC Circuit has the components connected in separate branches. In a series circuit, the voltage drop across each component is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage drop across each component is different.

What is the resonance frequency of a Second Order RLC Circuit?

The resonance frequency of a Second Order RLC Circuit is the frequency at which the circuit exhibits the highest impedance. At this frequency, the reactance of the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit.