Second Quantization for Fermions: Creation Operator

In summary: I hope this helps.In summary, this equation is describing the Pauli exclusion principle. The -1 is raised because it is needed to keep the sign of the sum.
jhosamelly
2crrgiq.jpg

So, I'm studying Second Quantization for fermions and came across this equation. I was just wondering why there is a summation needed? And why do we do it with (i≠p).? Please can someone explain this to me?

Reply and help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jhosamelly said:
2crrgiq.jpg

So, I'm studying Second Quantization for fermions and came across this equation. I was just wondering why there is a summation needed? And why do we do it with (i≠p).? Please can someone explain this to me?

Reply and help is much appreciated.
This is basically a mathematical expression for the Pauli Exclusion Principle.
Two ways to state the Pauli exclusion principle are:
1) Two or more fermion particles can not share the same quantum state.
2) A specific quantum state can have either 0 or 1 fermion particles.

Ow! Yes, I've read that! But why the need for Np? And why is -1 raised to Np if we just want to keep its sign?

i'll post the whole page so you would have an idea about my question

30joh9w.jpg

11tmnue.jpg

So here, for those I put check on. Why is there a (-1)^Np? I know that's part of the creation and annihilation operator, but why is it there?

Second, the equation I encircled has Nq+1. How did that happen? Thanks.

It just arises because of the antisymmetry required,which introduces a factor of -1.

Hmmm.. Because wavefunction for fermions are antisymmetric? Ok. Got that! But how was the encircled eqn derived? And the last equation is also giving me a hard time. I am trying to derive everything here.

jhosamelly said:
Hmmm.. Because wavefunction for fermions are antisymmetric? Ok. Got that! But how was the encircled eqn derived? And the last equation is also giving me a hard time. I am trying to derive everything here.

Hy, you seem to be lost.
Perhaps, this reference will be helpful:
www.scholarpedia.org/article/Second_quantization
(please respect the recommandations at the bottom of the page)
These operators seem to be spinors and have a typical anticommutative behavior.
I cannot help you directly, sorry.
Good luck

1. What is second quantization for fermions?

Second quantization is a mathematical formalism used in quantum mechanics to describe systems containing multiple identical particles, such as fermions. It involves representing the particles as operators that create or annihilate them from a quantum state, which allows for a more efficient and compact description of the system.

2. What is a creation operator for fermions?

A creation operator is an operator that adds an additional fermion to a quantum state. In second quantization, these operators are used to represent the creation of multiple fermions in a quantum system.

3. How is second quantization for fermions different from bosons?

Second quantization for fermions differs from that of bosons due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state. This means that fermion creation operators must anti-commute with each other, while boson creation operators commute.

4. Why is second quantization important in studying fermion systems?

Second quantization allows for a more efficient and systematic way of describing fermion systems, especially those with a large number of particles. It also helps in the calculation of physical properties and interactions of the system, making it an essential tool in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of second quantization for fermions?

Second quantization has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of condensed matter systems such as superconductors and superfluids. It is also used in nuclear physics to describe the behavior of nucleons in an atomic nucleus. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as quantum chemistry and quantum computing.