Second shift theorem help

In summary, the given piecewise function can be written as t(e^t) - t(e^t)u(t-5), and its laplace transform can be found by using the formula for the laplace transform of a unit step function, which results in t(e^t) - (t-5)(e^(t-5))u(t-5). However, this equation needs to be carefully worked out, as the second term is incorrect.
robmass
questions asks to write the piecewise function as a unit step function and then to find the laplace transform

t(e^t) 0≤t≤5
0 t≥3

I know it should be along the lines of

t(e^t) - t(e^t)u(t-5)

which then goes to

t(e^t) - (t-5)(e^(t-5))u(t-5)

I know there should be more to the above equation but I just can't figure out what to do from here

Physics news on Phys.org
robmass said:
questions asks to write the piecewise function as a unit step function and then to find the laplace transform

t(e^t) 0≤t≤5
0 t≥3

I know it should be along the lines of

t(e^t) - t(e^t)u(t-5)

which then goes to

t(e^t) - (t-5)(e^(t-5))u(t-5)

I know there should be more to the above equation but I just can't figure out what to do from here

Your second equation is wrong: you do not get simply (t-5)(e^(t-5))u(t-5). Work everything out carefully, step-by-step.

Related to Second shift theorem help

1. What is the second shift theorem?

The second shift theorem is a mathematical concept that states that if a function is translated by a certain amount in one direction, its Fourier transform will be multiplied by a complex exponential in the opposite direction.

2. How is the second shift theorem used in mathematics?

The second shift theorem is used to simplify mathematical calculations involving Fourier transforms and their translations. It allows for the use of basic operations, such as multiplication and addition, instead of more complex operations like convolution.

3. Can you provide an example of the second shift theorem in action?

Imagine a function f(x) with a Fourier transform F(w). If f(x) is shifted by a distance a to the right, its Fourier transform F(w) will be multiplied by e^-2πiaw. This allows for easier manipulation of the function and its transform.

4. What are the key principles of the second shift theorem?

The second shift theorem is based on two key principles: the translation property of Fourier transforms and the convolution theorem. These principles allow for the simplified calculation of Fourier transforms when a function is translated.

5. Are there any limitations to the second shift theorem?

The second shift theorem is limited to functions that are continuous and have a finite integral. It also requires that the function and its Fourier transform are both absolutely integrable. Additionally, the theorem only applies to translations in one direction and is not applicable for other types of transformations.