Sedentary behavior & reduced medial temporal lobe thickness

In summary, the conversation discusses a link sent by the speaker's wife regarding the effects of excessive sitting on memory. The data presented in the article includes scatter diagrams and data summaries, which the speaker finds unconvincing due to the presence of outliers. They also mention values for β and p-value from Table 2, but do not fully understand their meanings. The speaker asks for clarification and comments on the reliability of the data in supporting the premise that avoiding excessive sitting improves memory.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
My wife keeps telling me that I need to avoid sitting at the computer so much. She sent me the following link.
I confess that I don't find the data presented in the article very convincing, and I would appreciate comments regarding the statistical analysis from knowledgeable participants.

As I see it, the data consists of two scatter diagrams (Figs. 1 and 2) and two data summaries (Tables 1 and 2). Table 1 describes the characteristics of the population, and Table 2 (shown below) gives the statistical results. As I look at the scatter diagrams, the steepness of the least mean square fit seems to me to be strongly influenced by a few data points I would call outliers. The data in Table 2 gives values for β and p-value. I do not understand what β represents, but the range of 95% CI seems seems odd that it is so much larger than the value of β.

Sitting.png

Attachments

• Sitting.png
    Sitting.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 558
Biology news on Phys.org
Ygggdrasil said:
They probably performed some sort of logistic regression on the data
Hi Ygggdrasil:

You are probably right about that, but I would like to understand, if I can, whether the data in the Table 2 reliably implies that there is good support for the premise that avoiding excessive sitting improves memory. In particular:
(1) Do you know what β represents?
(2) For example looking at the first row, do the numbers {-0.02, (-0.04,-0.002)} mean that:
(a) β=-0.02 is the mean or median of a probability distribution of possible values,
(b) the probability that the true value of β ε {-0.04,-0.02} is approximately 0.475, and
(c) the probability that the true value of β ε {-0.02,-0.002} is approximately 0.475?​
(3) Is the p-value of 0.03 a reliable predictor of the premise, or it it only an indication (weak?) that the data is not consistence with the null hypothesis? Am I correct that this support against the null hypothesis implies only that the two correlated variables were not likely to have been generated by random numbers from a single distribution? Or is there some stronger implication?

I would appreciate any comments you would care to make.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is sedentary behavior?

Sedentary behavior refers to any activity that involves sitting or lying down and expending very little energy. This can include activities such as watching TV, using the computer, or sitting at a desk for long periods of time.

2. What is the medial temporal lobe?

The medial temporal lobe is a region of the brain that is responsible for memory formation and spatial navigation. It is located on the inner side of the temporal lobe and includes structures such as the hippocampus and the parahippocampal gyrus.

3. How does sedentary behavior affect the medial temporal lobe?

Studies have shown that prolonged sedentary behavior can lead to a reduction in the thickness of the medial temporal lobe. This can have negative effects on memory and spatial navigation abilities.

4. Is there a link between sedentary behavior and Alzheimer's disease?

Research has suggested that there may be a link between sedentary behavior and an increased risk for Alzheimer's disease. This is because a thinner medial temporal lobe has been associated with a higher risk for developing Alzheimer's.

5. How can one reduce sedentary behavior and maintain a healthy medial temporal lobe?

To reduce sedentary behavior and maintain a healthy medial temporal lobe, it is important to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine. This can include activities such as walking, jogging, or participating in sports. It is also important to take frequent breaks from sitting and engage in mentally stimulating activities to keep the brain active.