Seeing Merging Shadows in the Sunlight

• B
  • Thread starter Vibhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sunlight
In summary, the shadow of a hand may merge with the shadow of a container if the distance between the hand and the container is small compared to the distance between the hand and the light source. This phenomenon is called the shadow blister effect.
Vibhu
Today when I was standing beside a container in sunlight I observed that the shadow of my hand merged at a certain distance with of the container even though their was enough distance between my hand and container for light to pass is there a reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there's a reason. If you consider a sundial, you'll recognize that the shadow cast by the gnomon depends on the angle of the gnomon relative to the light source, i.e. the sun, which depends on the time of day.

16b1c27e92c406007b2d9ca80b77eb5d.gif

If a small bird were to alight on the III in the illustration, none of its shadow would be merged with that of the gnomon, but if it were to alight on the IX, almost all of its shadow would be merged with that of the gnomon, and the distance from the gnomon of the III and the IX is about the same.

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:
Yes, there's a reason. If you consider a sundial, you'll recognize that the shadow cast by the gnomon depends on the angle of the gnomon relative to the light source, i.e. the sun, which depends on the time of day.

View attachment 241378

If a small bird were to alight on the III in the illustration, none of its shadow would be merged with that of the gnomon, but if it were to alight on the IX, almost all of its shadow would be merged with that of the gnomon, and the distance from the gnomon of the III and the IX is about the same.
It looked like the Shadows were attracting each other after a certain distance each time I did it. Thank you for this explanation but I don't think it is correctly defining it.

DrClaude said:
Or it may be the shadow blister effect.
Also not this one, I read this one and was very knowledgeable.

Vibhu said:
It looked like the Shadows were attracting each other after a certain distance each time I did it. Thank you for this explanation but I don't think it is correctly defining it.
That seems more like the shadow blister effect phenomenon to which @DrClaude alluded, but given that you disclaim that, perhaps you could provide a more detailed description.

Likes DrClaude

1. How do merging shadows in the sunlight occur?

Merging shadows in the sunlight occur when two or more objects cast shadows that overlap or intersect with each other.

2. What causes merging shadows in the sunlight?

Merging shadows in the sunlight are caused by the positioning of objects in relation to the direction of sunlight. When two or more objects are placed in a way that their shadows overlap or intersect, it creates the appearance of merging shadows.

3. Can merging shadows in the sunlight be seen at any time of day?

Yes, merging shadows in the sunlight can be seen at any time of day as long as there is sunlight and objects casting shadows.

4. Are merging shadows in the sunlight a common occurrence?

Yes, merging shadows in the sunlight are a common occurrence and can be observed in various settings, such as indoors or outdoors.

5. Can merging shadows in the sunlight be used for any practical purposes?

Merging shadows in the sunlight can be used for artistic purposes, such as creating interesting patterns or designs. They can also be used to determine the position of objects in relation to the direction of sunlight.