Seeking a Rudin's PMA-level analysis book with abstract proofs

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of abstract proof in mathematics and the recommendation of books that cover this concept. The original poster is interested in finding a book similar to Rudin's PMA but with a focus on abstract proof. Other members recommend Pugh's "Real mathematical analysis" or books dedicated to single variable real analysis. One member also mentions finding Bourbaki's series to be concise and helpful. Overall, the conversation revolves around finding resources for understanding and practicing abstract proof techniques in mathematics.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I recently got interested in the art of abstract proof, where the focus is writing the proof as general as possible rather than starting with a specific cases. Could anyone recommend an analysis book at the level of Rudin's PMA that treats the introductory analysis in an abstract level with abstract proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
bacte2013 said:
I recently got interested in the art of abstract proof, where the focus is writing the proof as general as possible rather than starting with a specific cases.

What does this mean? And why does Rudin not have good proofs?

bacte2013 said:
Could anyone recommend an analysis book at the level of Rudin's PMA that treats the introductory analysis in an abstract level with abstract proof?

How about Rudin's PMA?...If you don't want his book, check out Pugh's "Real mathematical analysis". But if you haven't had any exposure to proofs before, I would suggest working through a book dedicated to single variable real analysis. Like Spivak, Apostol, or Courant.

micromass said:
What does this mean? And why does Rudin not have good proofs?

I found Bourbaki's series to be really concise! I love it!

JonnyG said:
How about Rudin's PMA?...If you don't want his book, check out Pugh's "Real mathematical analysis". But if you haven't had any exposure to proofs before, I would suggest working through a book dedicated to single variable real analysis. Like Spivak, Apostol, or Courant.

I already read Rudin's PMA several times. I was trying to find more concise book that presents general proof, rather than starting with specific cases like the concept of k-cell from Rudin. I actually found that Bourbaki's series to be really good!

What is a Rudin's PMA-level analysis book?

Rudin's PMA-level analysis book refers to the book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" written by Walter Rudin. It is a widely used textbook for undergraduate and graduate level courses in real analysis. It covers topics such as sequences, continuity, differentiation, integration, and series in a rigorous and abstract manner.

Why is it important to seek a Rudin's PMA-level analysis book with abstract proofs?

Abstract proofs in Rudin's PMA-level analysis book provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and theorems in real analysis. They also help in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Moreover, many advanced courses in mathematics require a strong foundation in abstract proofs, making it essential to seek a book that covers them extensively.

What are the benefits of using Rudin's PMA-level analysis book for learning analysis?

Rudin's PMA-level analysis book is known for its concise and clear writing style, making it easier for students to understand complex concepts. It also provides a comprehensive coverage of topics in real analysis, making it suitable for both introductory and advanced courses. Additionally, it contains numerous exercises that help in reinforcing the concepts learned.

Are there any other analysis books that can be used instead of Rudin's PMA-level analysis book?

While Rudin's PMA-level analysis book is a popular choice, there are other analysis books that can be used as well. Some alternatives include "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott, "Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh, and "A Course in Analysis" by John B. Conway. It is recommended to consult with your instructor to determine the best book for your course.

How can one prepare for studying Rudin's PMA-level analysis book with abstract proofs?

To prepare for studying Rudin's PMA-level analysis book, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have some prior exposure to proof-based mathematics. You can also start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and definitions in real analysis before diving into the book. Additionally, practicing writing and understanding abstract proofs can be beneficial.