Seeking book recommendations for studying astrophysics

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is interested in studying astrophysics and is looking for book recommendations. Two books, "Carroll and Ostlie" and "Foundations of Astrophysics" are recommended, with the suggestion to have a basic understanding of calculus before starting. It is also advised to do practice problems and seek help if needed.
VarunLall
Hi! I'm interested in studying astrophysics. I've previously studied the basic concepts about stars, galaxie and black holes. Can anyone recommend some books that would help me learn more about astrophysics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71, VarunLall and Demystifier
rexregisanimi said:
I'd highly recommend Carroll and Ostlie's book which you can find on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805304029/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Be sure you understand Calculus at least to a basic level before embarking ;)
Thanks! I'm a college student and currently studying a course in calculus so this is going to be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I like (and have on my shelf) Carroll and Ostlie, I also recommend "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson, which is almost at the level of Carroll and Ostlie, but which is shorter, and thus maybe a little less comprehensive and a little more readable.

Likes VarunLall
Mr. Jones has a good recommendation as well. No matter which book you choose, be sure you follow each step. Do a few problems at the end of each chapter or section to be sure you understood and can apply what you read. It takes patience and time (but not a whole lot of money) but it will be worth it.

You can always ask questions here or search online when you run into difficulty.

Likes VarunLall
George Jones said:
Although I like (and have on my shelf) Carroll and Ostlie, I also recommend "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson, which is almost at the level of Carroll and Ostlie, but which is shorter, and thus maybe a little less comprehensive and a little more readable.
Thank you Mr Jones.

rexregisanimi said:
Mr. Jones has a good recommendation as well. No matter which book you choose, be sure you follow each step. Do a few problems at the end of each chapter or section to be sure you understood and can apply what you read. It takes patience and time (but not a whole lot of money) but it will be worth it.

You can always ask questions here or search online when you run into difficulty.
I'll follow your instructions on this, ma'am. Thanks a lot.

Related to Seeking book recommendations for studying astrophysics

1. What are some good introductory books for studying astrophysics?

Some popular introductory books for studying astrophysics include "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie, "The Cosmic Perspective" by Jeffrey O. Bennett et al., and "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners with no previous knowledge of astrophysics?

Yes, there are several books specifically geared towards beginners with no previous knowledge of astrophysics. Some examples include "Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction" by James Binney, "Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and "Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe" by Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan.

3. Are there any books that cover both theoretical and observational aspects of astrophysics?

Yes, there are books that cover both theoretical and observational aspects of astrophysics. Some examples include "Astrophysics in a Nutshell" by Dan Maoz, "Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction" by James Binney, and "Theoretical Astrophysics" by T. Padmanabhan.

4. Are there any books that focus on a specific subfield of astrophysics?

Yes, there are books that focus on specific subfields of astrophysics, such as "Galactic Dynamics" by James Binney and Scott Tremaine for galactic astrophysics, "Cosmology: The Origin and Evolution of Cosmic Structure" by Peter Coles for cosmology, and "Astrophysical Concepts" by Martin Harwit for stellar astrophysics.

5. Are there any books that include practical exercises or problems for self-study?

Yes, there are books that include practical exercises or problems for self-study, such as "Exercises in Astronomy: Astronomy for the Beginning Stargazer" by Mark Gallaway, "Astronomy: Principles and Practice" by A.E. Roy and D. Clarke, and "Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology: An Introduction" by Peter Schneider.