Seemingly incomprehensible Wave motion

In summary: so when you drop a ball in a tank and watch it bounce back, you are seeing the wavefront which is the locus of all the points that have the same amplitude.
junior_J
This may not be the best place to ask this question ... heck it isn't even homework ... I am trying to get a head start on next weeks lesson which is wave motion ... My book keeps referring to a term "wave front" , it mentions it twice/thrice during an explanation of interfernce patterns as seen on ripple tanks but doesn't actually say what it is ... my question is what is a wave front ? and how does this cause the interference ripple effects ?? (Im familliar with Youngs double slit experiment and how it works , although I am totally lost on how concentric circles cause superpostiton of waves ? :grumpy: )

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm...assume you drop a ball into a water tank and the circles that form around the ball are the wavefront...get it?if you can't jus get a pail of water and drop a ball in it and view from the top.anyway, let's say 2 wavefront meets(when it bounce back from the side of the tank) they will superimpose causing the interference pattern.

Last edited:
hmm ... I still don't get it ... is a wave front equivalent to a wave or say a ray ??

ok the definition bit from Wikipedia goes "...a wavefront is the locus (a line, or, in a wave propagating in 3 dimensions a surface) of points having the same phase"

didn't get what its trying to say ... this lesson is a first for meh , bear with me and my english isn't all that good :)

so a wavefront is a group of waves in which a point on each of the waves are exactly located at their crests ??

sorry if this seems annoying ... how does that fit into the description made by semc about picturing water waves ?? I am totally lost

Wavefront is really just a front of the wave. If the wave propogates like a circle then the wavefront will be a circle and if it's propogating like a sphear the front will be shaped like a sphear.

oki still don't get it , dropping this head start thingy ... thnx anyways

hmm... i think it is easier to understand this way,wavefront = crest/trough get it?

1. What is "seemingly incomprehensible wave motion?"

"Seemingly incomprehensible wave motion" refers to a type of wave behavior that may appear confusing or difficult to understand at first glance. This can include complex wave patterns, unexpected wave interactions, or seemingly random wave behavior.

2. What causes seemingly incomprehensible wave motion?

There are various factors that can contribute to seemingly incomprehensible wave motion, such as complex wave interactions, interference from other waves, or non-linear behaviors of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

3. How is seemingly incomprehensible wave motion different from regular wave motion?

The main difference between seemingly incomprehensible wave motion and regular wave motion is that the former is more complex and unpredictable. Regular wave motion follows predictable patterns and can be easily described by mathematical equations, while seemingly incomprehensible wave motion may not have a clear explanation or pattern.

4. Can seemingly incomprehensible wave motion be predicted or controlled?

In some cases, seemingly incomprehensible wave motion can be predicted and controlled through the use of advanced mathematical models and simulations. However, in other cases, the behavior may be too complex or chaotic to accurately predict or control.

5. How is the study of seemingly incomprehensible wave motion important?

The study of seemingly incomprehensible wave motion is important in many fields, such as physics, oceanography, and meteorology. By understanding and predicting wave behavior, we can better understand and predict natural phenomena, develop new technologies, and improve our understanding of the world around us.