Self-learning calculus - Integral [Sin(-1) x] dx

In summary: Is it really arcsin? Thanks.No, it's not arcsin. You might be thinking of the inverse of the sine function, which is usually denoted as arcsin.Sorry, didn't see the link.
jackson6612
I'm self-learning calculus. I'm not good at maths. Well, I just tried to solve a random problem in a math software

Integral [ Sin^(-1) x ] dx

The solution is here:
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4597/60496310.png

Now the problem is I don't how it's going. How do we get to step 2 involing t's?

Please help me. I would be highly indebted to you for all the guidance. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the trig identity
[tex]\sin 2\theta = \frac{2\tan \theta}{1 + \tan^2 \theta}[/tex]
with θ = x/2. Then substitute t = tan(x/2).

Thanks, Yang.

But what does the given formula have to do with [Sin(-1) x]. We know the ratio, x, and need to know the angle.

Sin(theta) = x, where 'x' is a ratio and 'theta' is an angle. In Sin(-1) situation has been reversed, now we know 'x', not 'theta'. Am I correct?

Please guide me.

Oh, you talking about the inverse of the sine function... This is usually denoted as arcsin.

Have you tried partial integration?

No, I'm new to this calculus world. Please have a look on the link in my first post. Is it really arcsin? Thanks.

Sorry, didn't see the link.

eumyang gave some good advice: just substitute t=tan(x/2)...

Based on what I see in the OP's imageshack image, this is the integral:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{sin(x)}[/tex]

The OP's notation of sin^(-1)(x) was very misleading, as that notation is used for the inverse sine function.

micromass said:
Sorry, didn't see the link.

eumyang gave some good advice: just substitute t=tan(x/2)...

Micro, I'm the one to be blamed. Sorry.

Mark44 said:
Based on what I see in the OP's imageshack image, this is the integral:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{sin(x)}[/tex]

The OP's notation of sin^(-1)(x) was very misleading, as that notation is used for the inverse sine function.

Mark, thanks a lot. Now I could at least where it's coming from. Will get back.

There substitution of t = tan(x/2) is not, IMO, an obvious one. Here's another way to do the problem.
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{sin(x)} = \int csc(x) dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int csc(x) \frac{csc(x) + cot(x)}{csc(x) + cot(x)}dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int \frac{csc^2(x) + cot(x)csc(x)}{csc(x) + cot(x)}dx[/tex]

Now, you can use the substitution u = csc(x) + cot(x), so du = -csc(x)cot(x) - cot2(x) dx, so the integral above can be rewritten as
[tex]\int \frac{-du}{u} = -ln|u| + C = -ln|csc(x) + cot(x)| + C[/tex]

Although this result looks very different from the answer in the imageshack link (ln|tan(x/2)| + C), the two expressions are equal.

In the first step where does the factor 2/(1+t^2) come from? Please help me. Thanks.

Mark, I didn't see your post until I was done with mine. Thanks a lot for the alternative. I understand it takes a lot of effort and time. But for some reason the alternative is somewhat fearful for me. My shortcomings are to be blamed here. I genuinely thank you for your input. Best wishes.

They seem to be using right triangle trig based on the substitution t = tan(x/2). It's helpful to draw a right triangle with base 1 and height t, and acute angle x. If you extend the base to 2 units, the new triangle has a base of 2 units and height of t (still), but now the acute angle is x/2. From those two triangles you can get the various relationships between t and x or x/2.

Mark: I just had another look at your method and now it seems it's not difficult. Now your effort has been fully utilized, I believe. Thanks a lot.

BTW, how do you write definite integral in Latex? What's the code? Could you please tell me?

Click with your mouse on the LaTeX to see the code:

[tex]\int{\frac{1}{x}dx}[/tex]

Hi Micro

You have missed it: I said "definite integral". I suppose that's what it's called - an integral sign with two number, one below it and other above it.

Oops, sorry... Here's the right code:

[tex]\int_{-2}^3{\frac{1}{x}dx}[/tex]

So in short: just append _{lower bound}^{upper bound} to the \int.

Thank you.

Use "_" for the lower limit and "^" for the upper
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]

is \int_a^b f(x)dx

Thank you, Halls.

Also, if either of the limits of integration has more than one character, put braces ( { and }) around the expression. This is true also for exponents.
[tex]\int_{-1}^{13} e^{2x}dx[/tex]

The script inside the tex tags for the above is \int_{-1}^{13} e^{2x}dx

If you don't use braces, this is what happens:
[tex]\int_-1^13 e^2xdx[/tex]

Mark: thanks for letting me know. It would take some time to be good at Latex.

jackson6612 said:
In the first step where does the factor 2/(1+t^2)dt come from? Please help me. Thanks.

Please check the link in my first post in this thread to see the first step. Thanks.

Help, please!

It comes from the dx. If t=tan(x/2), dx=2dt/(1+t^2). So it's from the substitution formula.

There's another way that doesn't use non-intuitive substitutions like u = secx + tanx or u = tan(x/2). This shows how to find ∫secx dx, but integrating cscx is almost exactly the same.
http://www.karlscalculus.org/calc11_6.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bohrok

Where did you get that integral symbol, ∫secx dx, from? I could even copy it to wordpad. Whenever I try to copy Latex written text, I get everything copied in Latex code. Please let me know. Thanks.

Related to Self-learning calculus - Integral [Sin(-1) x] dx

1. What is the purpose of self-learning calculus?

The purpose of self-learning calculus is to understand and manipulate mathematical concepts related to change and motion, as well as to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. What is an integral in calculus?

An integral in calculus is a mathematical operation that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

3. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you must first identify the function and limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution to simplify the integral and find the solution.

4. What is the integrand in the integral [Sin(-1) x] dx?

The integrand in this integral is Sin(-1) x, which represents the inverse sine function of x. This function returns the angle in radians whose sine is x.

5. How can self-learning calculus be applied in real life?

Self-learning calculus can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, make predictions, and optimize systems and processes.