Sellmeier's equation & Least-squares Fitting

• Thread starter yo56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fitting
In summary: Then your equation is of the form ##y=mx+b##, so you can use the same method to find the values of m and b. In summary, to determine the values of Sellmeier's coefficients (S and λ0) using the least-squares method and Sellmeier's dispersion equation, you can manipulate the equation to resemble the form y=mx+b and use the same method as with a simple linear equation.
yo56

Homework Statement

Determine the values of Sellmeier's coefficients (S and λ0) using the least-squares method and Sellmeier's dispersion equation:
n2=1+Sλ2/(λ202)

Homework Equations

n2=1+Sλ2/(λ202)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to use the least-squares method with a simple equation like y=mx+b (see below), but when trying to do the same thing with Sellmeier's equation, I get confused with where to put the summation symbols. Also, I am not sure if I use the squared version of Sellmeier's equation or to take the square root of it.

With y=mx+b, I know to take a y' point on the line corresponding to one of the points. A general equation would be achieved, i.e. Di=yi-y'i --> Di=yi-mxi+b. You would then square the equation, take the summation of it, and then the derivatives with respect to m and b to minimize, setting both equations equal to 0:

(1) Ʃ(yixi)-mƩ(xi2)-bƩ(xi)=0
(2) Ʃ(yi)-mƩ(xi)-bn=0, n is the number of data points

The solved linear equations yielded:
m=[Ʃ(xi)][Ʃ(yi)]-nƩ(yixi)/[[Ʃ(xi)]2-nƩ(xi2)]
b=[Ʃ(yixi)][Ʃ(xi)]-[Ʃ(xi2)][Ʃ(yi)]/[[Ʃ(xi)]2-nƩ(xi2)]

With Sellmeier's however, I am achieving some complex starting equations. Is there some mathematical "trick" I don't know about? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to massage your equation somehow so that ##1/\lambda^2=x## and ##y=1/(n^2-1)##.

Related to Sellmeier's equation & Least-squares Fitting

What is Sellmeier's equation and how is it used in science?

Sellmeier's equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the refractive index of a material as a function of wavelength. It is commonly used in optics and photonics to model the behavior of light passing through different materials. The equation takes into account the material's composition and physical properties to predict how it will affect the speed of light passing through it.

What is least-squares fitting and how is it used with Sellmeier's equation?

Least-squares fitting is a statistical method used to find the best-fit curve for a set of data points. In the context of Sellmeier's equation, it is used to determine the coefficients for the equation by minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the predicted and actual refractive index values for a given material. This allows for a more accurate representation of the material's behavior and can be used to make predictions for wavelengths outside of the measured data range.

What are the limitations of using Sellmeier's equation and least-squares fitting?

Sellmeier's equation is based on empirical data and may not accurately predict the refractive index for all materials. It also assumes that the material is isotropic and does not take into account any anisotropic properties. Additionally, least-squares fitting relies on the accuracy and completeness of the data used, so it may not provide accurate results if the data is incomplete or contains errors.

How is Sellmeier's equation and least-squares fitting used in the design of optical systems?

Sellmeier's equation and least-squares fitting are used to model the behavior of light passing through different materials in optical systems. This allows for the optimization of system design to achieve desired properties, such as minimizing chromatic aberration. They can also be used to compare and select materials for specific applications based on their predicted refractive index values.

Are there any alternatives to Sellmeier's equation and least-squares fitting for predicting the refractive index of materials?

Yes, there are other equations and methods that can be used to predict the refractive index of materials, such as the Cauchy equation and the Lorentz-Lorenz equation. However, Sellmeier's equation and least-squares fitting are commonly used due to their simplicity and good agreement with experimental data for many materials.