Semi-infinite slab, surface heating on a radius r=a; T=?

In summary, the problem is 3D and we have cylindrical symmetry, and everything is the same for any given ##\phi##, so problem becomes 2D and the only coordinates relevant are ##r## and ##z##. We have full diffusion equation$$ D\nabla^2 T=\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}-\frac{q}{\rho c_p}$$ where ##q## is not a function of time, but it is Heaviside function of radius and delta function of ##z##; something like this: ##q(r,z)=H(a-r)\delta (z-0)## ?? Boundrary conditions
leialee

Homework Statement

[/B]
We are heating a semi-infinite slab with a laser (radius of a stream is ##a##), which presents us with a steady surface heating (at ##z=0##), everywhere else on the surface the slab is isolated.
How does the temperature change with time?
Look at the limit cases: at ##t \to \infty##, at ##z=0##, in the direction of the laser beam, etc.

Homework Equations

So initialy the problem is 3D and we have cylindrical symmetry, and everything is the same for any given ##\phi##, so problem becomes 2D and the only coordinates relevant are ##r## and ##z##.

We have full diffusion equation
$$ D\nabla^2 T=\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}-\frac{q}{\rho c_p}$$

where ##q## is not a function of time, but it is Heaviside function of radius and delta function of ##z##; something like this: ##q(r,z)=H(a-r)\delta (z-0)## ??

Boundrary conditions are ##T(r\to \infty, z\to \infty, t)=0## and ##\partial T/ \partial z (z=0, a<r<\infty)=0##
Initial condition is ##T(r,z,t=0)=0##

I'm thinking to solve this with Green's functions; so that i take the solution for heating infinite space with a point source, but considering slab is semi-infinite I would multiply Green's function for infinite space by 2 (as in we have two sources each on one side of the surface so that there is no conducting over the surface??).

So I've got Greens function for infinite 3D object:
$$ G(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_0;t)=(4\pi Dt)^{-\frac{3}{2}} e^{-\frac{(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_0)^2}{4Dt}}$$
and its solution
$$T(\textbf{r},t)=\int_{-\infty}^{t+}dt_0 \int d^3r_0~G(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_0;t-t_0)\frac{q(\textbf{r}_0,t_0)}{\rho c_p}$$

I'm really not very sure how to take on this problem, so any discussion and comment would be most welcome.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this problem is solved in Carslaw and Jaeger, Conduction of Heat in Solids.

Can you guess what the long-time steady state solution looks like?

Yeah, i checked that book out and its a bit to advanced for my knowleadge.

leialee said:
Yeah, i checked that book out and its a bit to advanced for my knowleadge.
And yet you're using Green's functions.

Okay, so i went to look into that book again; but i still don't understand. So maybe you would be so kind to explain to me some stuff from the chapter 8.2..
Like in 8.2, why does he take equation (1) for the temperature; where does that come from? Later on in (2) i would guess this goes by the fact that medium isn't finite, so all ##\lambda## are allowed.
Also, why does (4) satisfie (6), i don't see how.

leialee said:
Okay, so i went to look into that book again; but i still don't understand. So maybe you would be so kind to explain to me some stuff from the chapter 8.2..
Like in 8.2, why does he take equation (1) for the temperature; where does that come from? Later on in (2) i would guess this goes by the fact that medium isn't finite, so all ##\lambda## are allowed.
Also, why does (4) satisfie (6), i don't see how.
Ah I see, its the diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates and for stacionary case.

Chestermiller said:
And yet you're using Green's functions.
Could you please explain to me at least the thought process, how Jaeger get the solution in 10.5 (4) ?

leialee said:
Could you please explain to me at least the thought process, how Jaeger get the solution in 10.5 (4) ?
I don't have a copy of Carslaw and Jaeger. I just remember that the solution to this problem is in there.

1. What is a semi-infinite slab?

A semi-infinite slab is a theoretical model used in heat transfer analysis to represent a large, flat object with one side being infinitely long and the other side being finite in length.

2. How does surface heating on a radius r=a affect the temperature distribution in a semi-infinite slab?

Surface heating on a radius r=a creates a radial temperature gradient in the slab, with the highest temperature being at the center and gradually decreasing towards the edges. The temperature also decreases as you move away from the surface towards the interior of the slab.

3. What is the equation for calculating the temperature distribution in a semi-infinite slab with surface heating on a radius r=a?

The equation commonly used for this type of problem is the one-dimensional heat conduction equation, which is:
T(x) = T0 + (T1 - T0)erf(x/2√αt)
Where T(x) is the temperature at a given position within the slab, T0 is the initial temperature, T1 is the temperature at the surface (r=a), x is the distance from the surface, α is the thermal diffusivity of the material, and t is the time.

4. How does the radius r=a affect the temperature distribution in a semi-infinite slab with surface heating?

The radius r=a determines the location of the surface where the heat is being applied. A larger radius means that the heat is being applied over a larger area, which results in a more gradual temperature gradient and a slower decrease in temperature as you move away from the surface.

5. Can the semi-infinite slab model be used to represent real-world objects?

While the semi-infinite slab model is a simplified representation of a real-world object, it can still provide valuable insights and predictions about the temperature distribution and heat transfer in similar objects. However, it is important to consider the limitations and assumptions of the model when applying it to real-world situations.