Semiconductor Doping: Impurity Effects on Energy States

In summary, doping in semiconductors affects the conduction band in n-type semiconductors and the valence band in p-type semiconductors. For n-type semiconductors, the number of holes in the valence band remains small, while for p-type semiconductors, there are more holes in the valence band. The other options are incorrect.
songoku

Homework Statement

Which one of the following describes the result of doping in semiconductors?
a. The impurity provudes additional energy states within the conduction band
b. More electron - hole pairs are introduced as a result of doping
c. For n - type semiconductor, the number of "holes" in the valence band remains small
d. For p - type semiconductor, there are more "holes" in the conduction band
e. None of the above

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Option (a) is wrong because energy states stay the same

Option (b) is wrong because doping only adds only electron or hole, not electron - hole pair

Option (c) I think is correct because for n - type the number of free electron in conduction band increases and number of hole in valence band stays the same

Option (d) I am not sure

Is my reasoning for (a) - (c) correct? And what about (d)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For C: the number of holes remains small - that is, zero. But I don't think the author is taking that to be an answer.
Actually, the number of holes in the valence band isn't really small. The valence band of every atom has holes that share electrons with neighboring atoms. What is small (zero) for P-type is the number of holes in the conduction band.

Likes songoku
.Scott said:
For C: the number of holes remains small - that is, zero. But I don't think the author is taking that to be an answer.
Actually, the number of holes in the valence band isn't really small. The valence band of every atom has holes that share electrons with neighboring atoms.
I learn that valence band is the highest populated band, filled completely with electrons. How can valence the number of holes in the valence band not really small?

What is small (zero) for P-type is the number of holes in the conduction band.
So, option D should be: For p - type semiconductor, there are more "holes" in the VALENCE band. Am I correct?

And why for p - type the number of holes in conduction band zero? Conduction band is the first band that is not fully occupied by electrons but why the holes are zero?

The answer of this question should be (e)?

Thanks

songoku said:
I learn that valence band is the highest populated band, filled completely with electrons. How can valence the number of holes in the valence band not really small?So, option D should be: For p - type semiconductor, there are more "holes" in the VALENCE band. Am I correct?

And why for p - type the number of holes in conduction band zero? Conduction band is the first band that is not fully occupied by electrons but why the holes are zero?

The answer of this question should be (e)?

Thanks
There are more holes in the CONDUCTION band for p-type semiconductors.
I am taking "valence band" to be an attribute of the atoms. Although I am not sure how the author intends it to be interpreted in this context.
I believe the answer is D.

Likes songoku
.Scott said:
What is small (zero) for P-type is the number of holes in the conduction band.
.Scott said:
There are more holes in the CONDUCTION band for p-type semiconductors.

English is not my strong point but I feel that the two sentences above contradict each other. Maybe I misinterpret your intention?

Is it not correct if I say in p - type semiconductor, the addition of holes make the electrons in valence band be able to move to fill the holes so there are more holes in valence band?

Also, I think in n - type semiconductor, the addition of electrons will result in more electrons in conduction band. Am I correct?

Thanks

In post number 2, I mistyped. I was referring to option C so I should have said: "What is small (zero) for N-type is the number of holes in the conduction band.".
songoku said:
Is it not correct if I say in p - type semiconductor, the addition of holes make the electrons in valence band be able to move to fill the holes so there are more holes in valence band?
Since the author seems to be differentiating between the valence band and the conduction band, I am not sure that is correct.[/QUOTE]
songoku said:
Also, I think in n - type semiconductor, the addition of electrons will result in more electrons in conduction band. Am I correct?
Yes

Likes songoku
.Scott said:
Since the author seems to be differentiating between the valence band and the conduction band, I am not sure that is correct.

You mean valence band and conduction band should be the same?

semiconductor physics not my strong point but I THINK the only option that seems reasonable here is C, for the reason you stated in your first post.

Doping increases electrons in the conduction band (for n type) or holes in the valence band (for p-type).

Likes songoku and .Scott
I think Delta is right.
I just read up on bands.
In n-type semiconductors, charge moves as electrons through the conduction band.
In p-type semiconductors, charge moves as holes through the valence band.

So D cannot be right because there are never holes in the conduction band.
C is right because doping an n-type affects the conduction band, not the valence band.

Likes songoku and Delta2
thank you very much for the help

1. What is semiconductor doping?

Semiconductor doping is the process of intentionally introducing impurities into a semiconductor material to alter its electrical properties. This is done in order to control the conductivity of the material and create specific energy states for the movement of charge carriers.

2. What are the types of doping used in semiconductors?

The two main types of doping used in semiconductors are n-type and p-type. N-type doping involves adding impurity atoms with extra electrons, such as phosphorus or arsenic, which create negatively charged energy states. P-type doping involves adding impurity atoms with fewer electrons, such as boron or aluminum, which create positively charged energy states.

3. How does doping affect the energy states in a semiconductor?

Doping introduces energy states within the band gap of a semiconductor, which allows for the movement of charge carriers. In n-type doping, the added electrons create an energy level just below the conduction band, while in p-type doping, the missing electrons create an energy level just above the valence band.

4. What are the effects of doping on the conductivity of a semiconductor?

Doping can greatly affect the conductivity of a semiconductor. N-type doping increases the number of free electrons, making the material more conductive. P-type doping, on the other hand, creates holes in the valence band, which can also contribute to conductivity. The overall conductivity of a doped semiconductor depends on the concentration and type of impurities added.

5. How is semiconductor doping used in practical applications?

Semiconductor doping is essential in the production of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. It allows for the precise control of electrical properties and the creation of specific energy states, making it possible for these devices to function as desired. Doping is also used in solar cells to create p-n junctions that convert light into electricity.