Semiconductor Physics Books, Online Notes, Websites etc.

In summary, the conversation was about finding a good book or online resource on semiconductor physics, particularly the derivation of equations for components like PN junctions, diodes, BJTs, and MOSFETs from quantum mechanics principles. One suggested book was "Electronic Materials" by Nicolas Braithwaite and Graham Weaver, which covers both engineering applications and materials science behind it, and contains exercises and self assessment questions. Another recommended book was "Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Donald A. Neamen, which focuses specifically on semiconductor device physics and covers various devices such as PN junctions, diodes, BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs, and optical devices.
fobos3
Hi,

I am looking for a good book or any other online resource on semiconductor physics. What I need the book to cover is:
  • The PN junction i.e. the diode
  • BJT transistors
  • MOSFETS
In particullar I am interested in the derivation of the equations of the above components, the Shockley diode equation, for example, from QM first principles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!

I actually just read a recommendation that sounds like what you're after: Electronic Materials by Nicolas Braithwaite and Graham Weaver.

According to the "Further Reading" suggestions in the back of Livingston's Electronic Properties of Engineering Materials (good, but not what you're looking for), the Braithwaite book takes the format of presenting and engineering application, then going after the materials science behind it. Says it covers circuits, magnets, transducers, memories and displays.

I also found this in the Amazon description: "Contains numerous exercises and objective-linked self assessment questions with fully worked answers."

Damn. That actually sounds pretty good. I might by that one myself. Oh, and here is a bookfinder link!

Likes 1 person
k.e.V said:
Hello!

I actually just read a recommendation that sounds like what you're after: Electronic Materials by Nicolas Braithwaite and Graham Weaver.

According to the "Further Reading" suggestions in the back of Livingston's Electronic Properties of Engineering Materials (good, but not what you're looking for), the Braithwaite book takes the format of presenting and engineering application, then going after the materials science behind it. Says it covers circuits, magnets, transducers, memories and displays.

I also found this in the Amazon description: "Contains numerous exercises and objective-linked self assessment questions with fully worked answers."

Damn. That actually sounds pretty good. I might by that one myself. Oh, and here is a bookfinder link!

Actually, I found what I was looking for: Semiconductor Physics and Devices by Donald A. Neamen. Your suggestion also seams interesting but it appears to focus on material properties rather than semiconductor devices. I was looking primary in semiconductor device physics and the book by Neamen covers all the usual devices: pn junction, diodes(various types), BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs and even some optical devices, like PV cells and LEDs.

1. What is semiconductor physics?

Semiconductor physics is the study of the physical properties and behaviors of materials that have semiconducting properties, such as silicon or germanium. These materials are used in electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits.

2. What are some popular books on semiconductor physics?

Some popular books on semiconductor physics include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Semiconductor Physics and Devices" by Donald Neamen, and "Semiconductor Physics: An Introduction" by Karlheinz Seeger.

3. Are there any online notes available for studying semiconductor physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying semiconductor physics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and the Semiconductor Physics and Devices course on Coursera.

4. How can I learn more about semiconductor physics?

In addition to reading books and utilizing online resources, you can also attend seminars, workshops, and conferences on semiconductor physics. You can also join professional organizations, such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) or the American Physical Society (APS), which offer resources and networking opportunities for those interested in semiconductor physics.

5. What are some important topics to understand in semiconductor physics?

Some important topics in semiconductor physics include band theory, electron and hole behavior, doping, p-n junctions, and device fabrication techniques. It is also important to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and electromagnetism in order to fully comprehend semiconductor physics.