Sensors and Cameras for Local Space Analysis

In summary: The article “Asteroid impact avoidance: Schmidt cameras” from the website PetaPixel.com provides some more detail about these types of cameras and their capabilities.Your team would need a telescope with a “good long range (in AU’s would be best) while not losing integrity if those systems were stretched to view as much wide space as possible”.The article “Asteroid impact avoidance: Schmidt cameras” from the website PetaPixel.com provides some more detail about these types of cameras and their capabilities.I am sorry to say that I am not entirely sure what you are asking.
bodykey
I've been looking all over and it appears like I may be using the wrong words to really get a solid answer. I figured I would ask here and maybe someone could either give me a few better terms to help my search or would know the answer already. Thanks in advance!

I'm working with a team trying to put together a new imaging system to detect incoming objects in space. We need a camera that is capable of viewing as much space as possible and as far (and close) as possible without losing resolution integrity. I'm sorry I can't really give too many details on the project at this moment, but the general idea is to create a large area of our solar system that is never without constant surveillance. Cameras will synchronize together so as to always have a view on a large portion of space to allow for maximum visualization of any potential incoming object for study and analysis.

With that we need a good array of scanning and sensor equipment that works at a good long range (in AU's would be best) while not losing integrity if those systems were stretched to view as much wide space as possible.

Any ideas anyone?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
How much do you know about imaging? I ask because it has little to do with "range" and "resolution integrity". The primary concern is light gathering capability and field of view. This is a function of telescope size, focal ratio, and sensor sensitivity/size. Smaller optical systems (telescopes, camera lenses) typically have wider fields of view, but they don't have the same amount of light gathering as a larger optical system would have. However, larger optical systems typically have far longer focal lengths, meaning they see a much smaller portion of the sky, which would require more of them if you wanted to constantly keep most of the sky under watch.

I really have no idea what you mean by "resolution integrity". Asteroids are so small at any realistic distance that they are effectively point objects for all but the absolute largest of telescopes.

Also, like I said above, it's all about the brightness of the object you are wanting to image. Dim objects require much longer exposure/integration times to see than bright objects do. So even if you can cover the whole sky, you may not be able to see the dim objects you want to see because your system simply isn't capable of gathering enough light in a reasonable amount of time.

There's no real answer to your question. It's a trade off between a great many factors.

Thank you for your solid answer :) I'll go do a little more research :)

bodykey,

When planning a “new imaging system to detect incoming objects in space” your team just may save the Earth from destruction by an asteroid. Before trying to “reinvent the wheel” I suggest that it can be useful to first discover what others have already done to accomplish this same objective.

Your opening post is ambiguous: do you want to “detect incoming objects in space” from space-based detectors, or from earth-based detectors?

Wikipedia offers some “Ongoing projects and Prospective projects” which can inform you and your team about some current and planned technologies. Be sure to check out these references:

Stokes, GStokes, G.; J. Evans (18–25 July 2004). "Detection and discovery of near-Earth asteroids by the linear program". 35th COSPAR Scientific Assembly. Paris, France. p. 4338. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
"Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR)". National Aeronautics and Space Administration. 23 October 2007.
"The Spacewatch Project". Retrieved 2007-10-23.
"Near-Earth Objects Search Program". National Aeronautics and Space Administration. 23 October 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_impact_avoidance

Schmidt cameras have been a mainstay for wide field astrophotography for decades. Of course, I assume you were already aware of that.

What is the purpose of using sensors and cameras for local space analysis?

Sensors and cameras are used for local space analysis in order to collect data and images of the surrounding environment. This information can then be analyzed to better understand the characteristics and dynamics of a particular area.

What types of sensors and cameras are typically used for local space analysis?

There are a variety of sensors and cameras that can be used for local space analysis, including infrared sensors, LiDAR sensors, digital cameras, and thermal cameras. Each type has its own unique capabilities and can be used for different purposes.

How do sensors and cameras aid in the study of local space?

Sensors and cameras provide scientists with valuable data and images that can be used to study and monitor changes in local space over time. They can also help identify patterns and trends that may not be visible to the naked eye.

What are some challenges in using sensors and cameras for local space analysis?

One challenge is ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the data collected by sensors and cameras. This can be affected by factors such as weather conditions, equipment malfunctions, and interference from other sources. Another challenge is the cost and maintenance of these technologies.

How are sensors and cameras being used for local space analysis in current research?

Sensors and cameras are being used in a wide range of research areas, including environmental monitoring, urban planning, agriculture, and disaster management. They are also being integrated into remote sensing technologies and satellite imaging to provide a more comprehensive understanding of local space.