Separating rubber that is mixed in with stone?

In summary, Shakermaker suggests melting the rubber and breaking it down chemically to get the stone out, while Lurch suggests whapping it with a hammer to get smaller chunks and using a grinding mill to pulverize it.
Shakermaker
Just looking for a few idea for me to explore.

Basically I have a lump of material that is little bits of stone and rubber stuck together that I need to separate.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would say heat it up till the rubber flows, then either push it through a sieve or let it set until the rocks sink to the bottom, and cut the bottom part off.

Welcome to PF, Shakermaker.
Lurch's suggestion is a good one in some ways, but might fall short in others. Primarily, I think that it would depend upon what sort of 'rubber' is involved. I've personally never seen any that would lose enough viscosity under heating to flow through a sieve. There's also the density to consider; it might or might not separate from the rocks due to either floating or sinking.
My first thought was actually to go the opposite way. If you freeze the mass, the 'rubber' should become brittle while the rocks remain unchanged. You could then whap it a few times with a hammer to get smaller chunks, then run it through a grinding mill with teeth that are made out of something just slightly stronger than the frozen rubber. They should pulverize it, while leaving the rocks intact.
Having seen Lurch's post, though, I believe that the two could be combined. If you use his process first, it would make the 'freeze separation' a lot easier.
A couple of things that you didn't specify is how large this mass is, and whether you have to salvage the rubber, the rocks, or both. If you only have to keep the rocks, for instance, I'd just burn the rubber off completely with a torch or kiln. If you have to keep only the rubber, or both, I'd use Lurch's heating method alternating with freezing and grinding. Eventually you should end up with little balls of rubber that are small enough to fall through a coarse screen that will stop the rocks.
This is just a first impression, though. Some more thought needs to go into it.

If the rubber is thermoplastic, you could melt it. If it is a thermoset (most likely) it will never melt again... only char. I have used strong acid (methane sulfonic) to decompose rubber. If the stone is relatively immune to acid, this treatment would work regardless of the type of rubber you have. If the stone is limestone based, the stone would be decomposed along with the rubber.

You could also apply a chemical solvent that would swell the rubber. Look up the solvent compatibility of the rubber you have and choose one that is incompatible. Acetone or methylene chloride come to mind. This would destroy the bond between the stone and the rubber and allow the release of the stone. Only the exposed stone will come away easily. A gentle grinding of the swelled rubber would expose the encapsulated rock, allowing it to fall out as well.

Related to Separating rubber that is mixed in with stone?

1. How does the rubber get mixed in with the stone in the first place?

The rubber and stone are often found in the same environment, such as a landfill or construction site. As the materials are moved and compacted, they can easily become mixed together.

2. What methods can be used to separate the rubber from the stone?

There are several methods that can be used, including magnetic separation, density separation, and manual sorting. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best approach will depend on the specific situation.

3. Is it possible to completely remove all of the rubber from the stone?

It is possible to remove a majority of the rubber from the stone, but it may not be possible to remove all of it. Some small particles of rubber may remain attached to the surface of the stone.

4. Can the separated rubber and stone be reused or recycled?

Yes, both the rubber and stone can be reused or recycled. The separated rubber can be used to make new rubber products, and the stone can be crushed and used as aggregate in construction projects.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with separating rubber from stone?

The separation process itself does not pose any significant environmental concerns. However, it is important to properly dispose of any leftover materials, such as small rubber particles, to prevent potential harm to the environment.