What is the shear modulus of viton material?

In summary, the person is struggling to find the shear modulus of rubber for their project of developing a bladder for a pulsation dampener. They have checked the DuPont website but could not find the information they need. They are now requesting help from experts in the group to obtain the shear modulus value of Viton.
Mohanraj J
i am new to rubber components , now i am developing a bladder for pulsation dampener, so for that i need to check the spring rate or elasticity of viton material and to determine the thickness for the bladder, I am struggling a lot to find the shear modulus of rubber, if have this valve i have basic formula to find out the thickness and deflection. So i request all the experts present in this group to help me out to get this shear modulus value of viton.

Thanking you in advance.

with regards,

J.Mohanraj

Engineering news on Phys.org
DuPont has 20+ data sheets on their website for the various Viton formulations, have you checked those?
Otherwise, you could try calling DuPont.

billy_joule said:
DuPont has 20+ data sheets on their website for the various Viton formulations, have you checked those?
Otherwise, you could try calling DuPont.
Thanks for your reply Mr. Billy , i tried that website , but they have given tensile strength but not the shear modulus. Is there any formula to calculate that shear modulus?

1. What is the shear modulus of viton material?

The shear modulus of viton material is a measure of its resistance to deformation by shear stress. It is a material property that describes how much force is needed to cause the material to deform or slide when a shear stress is applied.

2. How is the shear modulus of viton material determined?

The shear modulus of viton material can be determined through various testing methods, such as torsion testing or shear wave velocity measurements. These tests involve subjecting the material to a known shear stress and measuring the resulting deformation or strain.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the shear modulus of viton material?

The unit of measurement for the shear modulus of viton material is typically expressed in pascals (Pa) or gigapascals (GPa). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

4. How does the shear modulus of viton material compare to other materials?

The shear modulus of viton material is generally higher than other rubber materials, making it more resistant to deformation under shear stress. However, it is not as stiff as some metals or ceramics, which have higher shear moduli.

5. Can the shear modulus of viton material change under different conditions?

Yes, the shear modulus of viton material can change under different conditions such as temperature, strain rate, and chemical exposure. This is due to the viscoelastic nature of the material, which means its response to stress is dependent on time and temperature.