Separation of Variables: Find the potential b/w concentric hemispheres

In summary, the conversation discusses using boundary conditions to determine the values of An and Bn in a generic solution for a given potential. The V3 disk presents a challenge in translating the given potentials into boundary conditions. The use of Legendre polynomials and the equation for ๐œƒ = pi/2 is also mentioned. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and feels like the next step is not clear.
ligneox
Homework Statement
The surface depicted in the image below is constructed from three parts: (1) An outer hemispherical shell of radius ๐‘; (2) an inner hemispherical shell of radius ๐‘Ž; and (3) a flat bottom that sits in the ๐‘ฅ โˆ’ ๐‘ฆ plane. The potential on each of the three surfaces is specified
as ๐‘‰1(๐‘, ๐œƒ) = 0, ๐‘‰2(๐‘Ž, ๐œƒ) = 5๐‘‰0 cos ๐œƒ sin^2๐œƒ, and ๐‘‰3(๐‘Ÿ, ๐œ‹โ„2) = 0. Here ๐‘‰0 is a constant and ๐‘Ÿ, ๐œƒ are the usual spherical coordinates. Find the electric potential in the hemispherical shell ๐‘Ž โ‰ค ๐‘Ÿ โ‰ค ๐‘.
Relevant Equations
V(r,๐œƒ) = sum n=0 to infinity (A_n r^n + B_n/(r^(n+1))) P_n(cos๐œƒ)
Capture.JPG

I'm having troubles setting up this problem. I know we are to use boundary conditions to determine An and Bn since in this case (a<r<b) neither can be set to 0. I don't know how the given potentials translate into boundary conditions, especially the V3 disk.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
ligneox said:
I don't know how the given potentials translate into boundary conditions, especially the V3 disk.
You have a generic solution in the form of a sum, and you know the functions it must equal at the given boundaries. That gives you three equations. Write them out.

Likes ligneox, PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and 1 other person
haruspex said:
You have a generic solution in the form of a sum, and you know the functions it must equal at the given boundaries. That gives you three equations. Write them out.
Using V1 I was able to put Bn in terms of An, so the sum now looks like
V(r,๐œƒ) = sum n=0 to infinity A_n (r^n - b^(2n+1)/(r^(n+1))) P_n(cos๐œƒ)

I'm not sure how to proceed after writing out the new sum equal to V2, V3. How do I use the Legendre polynomials? for ๐œƒ = pi/2 i know Pn(cos๐œƒ) leaves only the even terms.

I can change the V2 to 5๐‘‰0 cos ๐œƒ (1- cos^2 ๐œƒ).

I feel like the next step is looking at me in the face and I can't recognize it.

1. What is separation of variables and how does it apply to finding the potential between concentric hemispheres?

Separation of variables is a mathematical method used to solve partial differential equations by breaking them down into simpler ordinary differential equations. In the case of finding the potential between concentric hemispheres, we can use separation of variables to solve the Laplace equation for the electric potential.

2. What is the Laplace equation and how is it related to finding the potential between concentric hemispheres?

The Laplace equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in space. In the case of electrostatics, the Laplace equation is used to calculate the electric potential, which is related to the electric field. By solving the Laplace equation, we can find the potential between concentric hemispheres.

3. What are the boundary conditions that need to be considered when using separation of variables to find the potential between concentric hemispheres?

Boundary conditions are the conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of a system. In the case of finding the potential between concentric hemispheres, the boundary conditions include the potential at the two hemispherical surfaces and the fact that the potential must be continuous and have no discontinuities at the boundary.

4. Can separation of variables be used to find the potential between non-concentric hemispheres?

Yes, separation of variables can be used to find the potential between non-concentric hemispheres as long as the boundary conditions are still satisfied. However, the mathematical calculations may be more complex compared to the case of concentric hemispheres.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables to find the potential between concentric hemispheres?

One limitation of using separation of variables is that it can only be applied to linear partial differential equations. Additionally, the method may not be applicable in cases where the boundary conditions are too complex or involve non-linear equations. In these cases, other numerical or analytical methods may need to be used to find the potential between concentric hemispheres.