Electrostatic Separation of Variables in a Square Pipe

In summary, the conversation involved solving a problem with a conducting pipe with a square cross section and finding the potential everywhere in space. The potential was assumed to be separable and the conversation discussed finding appropriate boundary conditions and using separation of variables to find a general form for the potential. The conversation also mentioned using Fourier analysis to find the coefficients and discussed potential issues with the chosen approach.
Shmi

Homework Statement

I'm solving a problem where a conducting pipe with a square cross section is being analyzed to find the potential everywhere in space. The pipe lays along the z-axis, so we're really concerned with the x-y plane. My issue isn't so much the general solution via separation of variables as much as it is finding appropriate boundary conditions to start solving for coefficients.

Imagine a square (as in looking at the pipe face on in the x-y plane) with an infinitesimal separation on two sides separating the square into two symmetric sides. One side is grounded and the other side at some fixed voltage ([itex]V_0[/itex] for instance). The pipe has side length [itex]a[/itex]. This is the set-up.

Homework Equations

As I understand, assume the potential is separable and then one reasons that the laplacian terms in each direction are constant. Choose constants of alternate sign to get a nice solution with trigonometric and exponential solutions (as Griffiths does in generality).

Generally, for a separable potential in Cartesian coordinates, my potential in the most general form ought to look like:

[tex]V(x,y) = (A \; e^{kx} + B \; e^{-kx}) (C \; \cos{ky} + D \; \sin{ky})[/tex]

Where k is that constant solution to the laplacian terms.

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuition is to pick a random corner of the pipe to set an origin on and begin trying to describe boundary conditions:

Suppose I choose the bottom left grounded corner for the origin with the infinitesimal gap a distance [itex]a/2[/itex] above the x-axis where the top half is our constant voltage half.

1. [itex] V(0<x< a, 0) = 0 [/itex]
  2. [itex] V(0, 0 < y < \frac{a}{2}) =0 [/itex]
  3. [itex] V(a, 0 < y < \frac{a}{2}) = 0 [/itex]
    That ought to describe my grounded bottom half.

This ought to be my upper half held at a constant potential.
  4. [itex] V(0<x< a, a) = V_0 [/itex]
  5. [itex] V(0, \frac{a}{2} < y < a) = V_0 [/itex]
  6. [itex] V(a, \frac{a}{2} < y < a) = V_0 [/itex]
  7. And of course, V goes to zero for x,y at positive or negative infinity

For very large x, namely the last condition, I can get that A should be zero:

[tex] V(x,y) = Be^{-kx} ( C \cos{ky} + D \sin{ky})[/tex]

Condition 1 also seems to suggest that at the origin, C should be zero (for y=0 I ought to get 0)

[tex] V(x,y) = Be^{-kx} ( D \sin{ky})[/tex]

And now, for k to be zero at the origin and [itex]y = a/2[/itex], k has to be some integer multiple of pi.

[tex] k = \frac{n \pi}{\frac{a}{2}} = \frac{2 n \pi}{a} [/tex]

Plugging in k and absorbing B into D, I finally have:

[tex] V(x,y) = \exp{\bigg(-\frac{2 n \pi}{a} x\bigg)} ( D \sin{\frac{2 n \pi}{a} y})[/tex]

If this approach is right, I know how to find D (via a little Fourier witchcraft). But my problem is that I seem to have a lot of unused boundary conditions and I'm not entirely convinced that this solution, even with clever choice of coefficients will solve this potential. But both of these problems have to do with my lack of intuition regarding separation of variables. Is my choice of origin OK? Are my steps correct? Am I moving in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shmi said:
my potential in the most general form ought to look like:

[tex]V(x,y) = (A \; e^{kx} + B \; e^{-kx}) (C \; \cos{ky} + D \; \sin{ky})[/tex]
You mean an infinite sum of such terms, right? What about the same with x and y swapped?

Related to Electrostatic Separation of Variables in a Square Pipe

1. What is electrostatic separation?

Electrostatic separation is a method of separating different materials based on their electrical properties. It involves applying an electric field to a mixture of materials, causing particles with different electrical charges to be attracted or repelled from each other.

2. How does electrostatic separation work in a square pipe?

In a square pipe, an electric field is generated by applying a voltage difference between the two opposite sides of the pipe. This creates a force on the charged particles in the mixture, causing them to move towards one side of the pipe and be separated from the rest of the mixture.

3. What types of materials can be separated using electrostatic separation in a square pipe?

Electrostatic separation in a square pipe can be used to separate a variety of materials, including plastics, metals, and minerals. It is particularly effective for separating materials with different levels of electrical conductivity.

4. What are the advantages of using electrostatic separation in a square pipe?

One of the main advantages of electrostatic separation in a square pipe is its ability to separate materials without the use of water or chemicals, making it a more environmentally friendly process. It is also a continuous process, allowing for high throughput and efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to electrostatic separation in a square pipe?

One limitation of electrostatic separation in a square pipe is that it is most effective for separating materials with large differences in electrical conductivity. It is also not suitable for separating materials that are similar in size and shape, as they may not experience enough force to be separated.