Seperately excited DC machine question

In summary, Phil is seeking help with comparing measured values to predicted results in an experiment on the open circuit characteristic of a dc generator. The experiment involved setting values for field current and recording armature voltage while the machine was running at 1500rev/min. Phil is unsure how to check if the measured values are accurate without the nameplate information on the motor.
cabellos
Hi, i would be very grateful for some help...

I have recently conducted an experiment and but I am not sure how to compare the values i measured with 'predicted' results (from theoretical equations). This is for the 'open circuit characteristic of a dc generator'.

I set values for the field current and recorded values of the armature voltage. Then plotted a graph of armature voltage against field current. The only other value i have to work with is that the machine was running at 1500rev/min...

e.g. a measured value was - setting the field current to 0.1A i recorded 70.5Volts. All i want to know is how do i check this is about right?

Thanks very much,

Phil

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be correct, but without the nameplate information on the motor we can't be certain.

Related to Seperately excited DC machine question

1. What is a separately excited DC machine?

A separately excited DC machine is an electrical device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a magnetic field. It is a type of direct current (DC) motor that has a separate power source for the field winding and the armature winding.

2. How does a separately excited DC machine work?

In a separately excited DC machine, the field winding is connected to a separate power source, such as a battery or a DC power supply. This creates a magnetic field that interacts with the armature winding, which is connected to the mechanical load. As the armature rotates, the interaction between the magnetic fields produces a force that drives the rotation and converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

3. What are the advantages of a separately excited DC machine?

One advantage of a separately excited DC machine is its ability to provide precise and variable speed control, making it suitable for applications that require precise control of motor speed. It also has a simple and robust design, making it easy to maintain and repair.

4. What are the applications of a separately excited DC machine?

Separately excited DC machines are commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, such as in electric vehicles, cranes, elevators, and machine tools. They are also used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.

5. How do you control the speed of a separately excited DC machine?

The speed of a separately excited DC machine can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the armature winding or by changing the strength of the magnetic field produced by the field winding. This can be done manually or through electronic control systems, such as pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers.