Sequence (n)/(n^n) Convergent or Divergent and Limit?

In summary: The product can be no larger than the smallest term, which is 1.In summary, the question is asking whether the sequence {(n!)/(n^n)} is convergent or divergent, and if convergent, what its limit is. The attempt to solve the problem involves using the ratio test and comparing the sequence to other known sequences such as n! and n^n. The conclusion is that the sequence is convergent and its limit is zero.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

Is the sequence {(n!)/(n^n)} convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its limit.

Homework Equations

Usually with sequences, you just take the limit and if the limit isn't infinity, it converges... That doesn't really work here. I know I'm supposed to write out the terms, but I can't figure out where to go from there.

The Attempt at a Solution

(n!)/(n^n) = ((1)(2)(3)...(n-1)(n))/((n)(n)(n)...(n)(n))
I think I'm supposed to say that this is less than something that goes to zero, but I don't know what that something should be.

n/n = 1

Does this mean that I can cancel that out and have a list of numbers smaller than n divided by n? Then the sequence is less than 1...but I think it converges to zero, I just don't know how to show that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Try writing out a few terms to see if you can see the growth factor from ##\frac{n!}{n^n}## to ##\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1)^{(n+1)}}##.

Okay, so...

((n+1)!)/((n+1)^(n+1)) = (1/(n+1)) ((n+1)!)/((n+1)^n) = (1/(n+1)) (((1)(2)(3)...(n)(n+1))/((n+1)(n+1)(n+1)...(n+1)(n+1)) < (1/(n+1)) and the limit of 1/(n+1) as n goes to infinity is zero...

Is my inequality true? My logic was just that the huge set of terms being multiplied by each other is still less than 1, so a (1/(n+1)) is going to be greater than itself multiplied by a number less than one. Is this correct?

How exactly does this relate to n!/(n^n)?

RUber is suggesting you consider the ratio between consecutive terms, [itex] \frac {n!}{n^n} [/itex] and [itex]\frac {(n+1)!}{(n+1)^{n+1}}[/itex].

The ratio test would work I believe. In general though: ##n^n > n! > b^n > n^x > \ln(n)## as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. So its easy to determine convergence by merely examining the behaviour of ##a_n##.

I think you have said it for the n+1 case. The logic holds for the nth case just the same.
##\frac{n!}{n^n}=\frac1n \frac2n ... \frac nn ## the largest term in the product is 1, so the product can be no larger than the smallest term. Just as you said in post #3.

What is a sequence?

A sequence is an ordered list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of a term in the sequence is called its index.

What does it mean for a sequence to be convergent?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms approach a specific finite value as the index increases. This finite value is called the limit of the sequence, and it represents the "end" or final value of the sequence.

What does it mean for a sequence to be divergent?

A divergent sequence is one in which the terms do not approach a finite value as the index increases. Instead, they may increase or decrease without bound, or they may oscillate between different values.

How do I determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, you can examine the behavior of the terms as the index increases. If the terms approach a specific finite value, the sequence is convergent. If the terms do not approach a finite value, the sequence is divergent.

What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the "end" or final value that the terms approach as the index increases. It represents the overall behavior or trend of the sequence and can help determine if the sequence is convergent or divergent.