Series acceleration formulae for common transcendental constants

In summary: I found obeys to the requirementI never doubted that anywhere. I merely pointed out the series wasn't quite "fast" in that sense.PS : Oh, and about fast expansions of $\log(2)$ via acceleration, yes, those... there are quite a few.
DreamWeaver
OK, so for starters, I'm not asking anyone to re-post results found in other books, papers, etc. That'd be entirely contrary to the basic idea of this 'ere thread.

What I'm really interested in is this: have you - yes YOU, personally - found any new or presumably unique series acceleration formulae for such constants as \(\displaystyle G\), \(\displaystyle \pi\), \(\displaystyle \gamma\), \(\displaystyle \zeta(3)\), \(\displaystyle \log 2\), etc...?If so, why not share...?Nearly time for my bed, so I'll add a few tomorrow. (Bug)

Physics news on Phys.org
DreamWeaver said:
OK, so for starters, I'm not asking anyone to re-post results found in other books, papers, etc. That'd be entirely contrary to the basic idea of this 'ere thread.

What I'm really interested in is this: have you - yes YOU, personally - found any new or presumably unique series acceleration formulae for such constants as \(\displaystyle G\), \(\displaystyle \pi\), \(\displaystyle \gamma\), \(\displaystyle \zeta(3)\), \(\displaystyle \log 2\), etc...?If so, why not share...?Nearly time for my bed, so I'll add a few tomorrow. (Bug)

Some years ago I arrived to the following Taylor expansion of the function $z\ \ln z$ around z=1...

$\displaystyle z\ \ln z = (z-1) + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(z-1)^{n}}{n\ (n-1)},\ |z - 1| \le 1\ (1)$

The main task of my work was to demonstrate that for z=0 it is unequivocally $z\ \ln z = 0$ and for consequence for z=0 it is unequivocally $z^{z} = e^{z\ \ln z}=1$. In fact if You set in (1) z=0 You obtain...

$\displaystyle 0\ \ln 0 = - 1 + \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n\ (n-1)} = -1 + 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + ... = 0\ (2)$

In addition in (1) the general term goes to 0 as $\frac{1}{n^{2}}$ and that means that quicher convergence respect to series with the general term going to 0 as $\frac{1}{n}$ is guaranted. Setting $z=2$ the series supplies $2\ \ln 2$ and setting $z = 1 + i$ the series supplies $\displaystyle \frac{\ln 2}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4} + i\ (\frac{\ln 2}{2} + \frac{\pi}{4})$. I personally promoted 'investigations' and nobody found the (1) in the existing literature... I wonder why!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Er... Actually, I am not quite fond of the rate of convergence of that. If my calculations aren't wrong, I'd say the series, at $z = 2$ converges to $\log(4)$ more like $\sim 10^{-\log n}$ which isn't very fast at all.

mathbalarka said:
Er... Actually, I am not quite fond of the rate of convergence of that. If my calculations aren't wrong, I'd say the series, at $z = 2$ converges to $\log(4)$ more like $\sim 10^{-\log n}$ which isn't very fast at all.

I'm not sure that Your answer concerns to my post... if yes You have to compare the expansions...

$\displaystyle \ln 2 = 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4} + ...\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \ln 2 = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{24} - \frac{1}{40} + ...\ (2)$ Which is faster?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
The series is convergent at $z = 2$, as far as my understanding goes. I am speaking that in general, the series isn't fast at all, which I demonstrate by showing how slowly it converges to $\log(4)$ at $z = 2$.

chisigma said:
$\displaystyle \ln 2 = 1 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4} + ...\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \ln 2 = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{12} + \frac{1}{24} - \frac{1}{40} + ...\ (2)$ Which is faster?...

Okay, I see you have edited that in. Of course the latter is faster, but that doesn't say that your series is in general fast. You see, according to what I have calculated down, after $n$-steps, you are near to $\log(2)$ only by $10^{-\! \log \! n}$. Do you consider that fast enough?

mathbalarka said:
Okay, I see you have edited that in. Of course the latter is faster, but that doesn't say that your series is in general fast. You see, according to what I have calculated down, after $n$-steps, you are near to $\log(2)$ only by $10^{-\! \log \! n}$. Do you consider that fast enough?

If fast convergence is the main task, then there are two excellent series expansions for $\ln 2$, i.e. the Pierce expansion... $\displaystyle \ln 2 = 1 - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{36} - ... (1)$A091846 - OEIS

... and the Engel expansion... $\displaystyle \ln 2 = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{42} + \frac{1}{378} + ...\ (2)$ A059180 - OEIS

In fact the OP said '... have you - yes YOU, personally - found any new or presumably unique series acceleration formulae...' and the series I found obeyes to the requirement... as I said before the main task of 'my' series was to demonstrate that is $0^{0}=1$ and I'm very lucky to have been successful in that (Yes)...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
and the series I found obeys to the requirement

I never doubted that anywhere. I merely pointed out the series wasn't quite "fast" in that sense.

PS : Oh, and about fast expansions of $\log(2)$ via acceleration, yes, those series are quite quick, although the best I'd think is CVZ applied to the usual slowly convergent series for $\log$.

Carry on...

chisigma said:
Some years ago I arrived to the following Taylor expansion of the function $z\ \ln z$ around z=1...

$\displaystyle z\ \ln z = (z-1) + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ \frac{(z-1)^{n}}{n\ (n-1)},\ |z - 1| \le 1\ (1)$
Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Very nice indeed, Chisigma! Thanks for sharing... (Yes)It strikes me that your series above could be used to find a series acceleration formula for the Dilogarithm. For example, replacing the \(\displaystyle z\) in your series with the dummy variable \(\displaystyle x\), dividing both sides of the expansion by \(\displaystyle (1-x)\), and then integrating from \(\displaystyle 1\) to \(\displaystyle z\) gives\(\displaystyle \int_1^z \frac{x\log x}{1-x}\,dx= - \int_1^z \,dx + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{ (-1)^{k-1} }{k(k-1)} \, \int_1^z (x-1)^{k-1} \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle 1-z + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k(k-1)} \, \int_1^z (1-x)^{k-1} \,dx\)Substitute \(\displaystyle y=1-x\) in that last integral to get:\(\displaystyle 1-z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k(k-1)} \, \int_0^{1-z} y^{k-1} \,dy=\)\(\displaystyle (01) \quad 1-z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{(1-z)^k}{k^2(k-1)} \)On the other hand,\(\displaystyle \int_1^z \frac{x\log x}{1-x}\,dx= \int_1^z \frac{ [1-(1-x)] }{1-x} \log x \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \int_1^z\frac{ \log x}{(1-x)}\,dx - \int_1^z \log x \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle -\log x\log(1-x)\, \Bigg|_1^z+\int_1^z\frac{\log(1-x)}{x}\, dx - \Bigg[ z\log z - z +1 \Bigg]=\)\(\displaystyle -\log z \log(1-z) - z\log z +z - 1 + \Bigg[ \int_1^z\frac{\log(1-x)}{x}\, dx \Bigg]=\)\(\displaystyle -\log z \log(1-z) - z\log z +z - 1 + \Bigg[ \text{Li}_2(1) - \text{Li}_2(z) \Bigg]=\)\(\displaystyle (02) \quad -\log z \log(1-z) - z\log z +z - 1 + \Bigg[ \zeta(2) - \text{Li}_2(z) \Bigg] \)
Finally, equating (01) and (02) then gives the final result:
\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_2(z)= -\log z \log(1-z) - z\log z +2z - 2 + \zeta(2) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{(1-z)^k}{k^2(k-1)}\)
A few observations:Firstly, although faster series acceleration formulae exist for the Dilogarithm - search for BBP-type series online - and some modest restrictions would need to be put on \(\displaystyle z\), this series is self-evidently a good deal faster than the standard Dilogarithmic series:\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_2(z) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^k}{k^2}\)Secondly, in many years of exploring Polylogarithms, and reading many related papers, I'm pretty certain I've not seen this series before.

And finally, repeating the same steps as above on this series will give an acceleration formula for the Trilogarithm. Similarly, repeated iterated integration in this way will lead to series acceleration formulae for additional higher order Polylogarithms.As I said, Chisigma, very nice work indeed... :D

1. What are series acceleration formulae for common transcendental constants?

Series acceleration formulae for common transcendental constants are mathematical techniques used to speed up the convergence of infinite series that involve transcendental constants, such as pi or e. These formulae can be applied to a wide range of series and can significantly reduce the number of terms needed to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

2. Why are series acceleration formulae important?

Series acceleration formulae are important because they allow for faster and more accurate computation of transcendental constants. This can be especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and financial analysis where these constants are frequently used in calculations.

3. How do series acceleration formulae work?

Series acceleration formulae work by manipulating the terms of the original series to produce a new series that converges more quickly to the desired value. This is achieved by using various mathematical transformations, such as summation, integration, or recursion, to rearrange the terms in a way that reduces the error between the approximated value and the exact value.

4. What are some common series acceleration formulae for transcendental constants?

Some common series acceleration formulae for transcendental constants include the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula, the Richardson extrapolation method, and the Shanks transformation. Other popular techniques include the Levin u-transform and the Wynn epsilon algorithm.

5. Are there any limitations to using series acceleration formulae for transcendental constants?

While series acceleration formulae can be highly effective in reducing the number of terms needed for convergence, they may not always be applicable or appropriate for certain types of series. Additionally, the choice of formula may depend on the specific series and the desired level of accuracy. It is important to carefully consider the convergence properties of a series before applying any acceleration techniques.