Series-Parallel Circuits (R/2R Ladder Networks)

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving a R/2R ladder network and the determination of Vout. The participants discuss redrawing the circuit and clarifying the concept of voltage passing through a resistor. They also mention using Ohm's law and finding equivalent resistances to solve the problem.
Lay1
Homework Statement
Determine Vout for the R/2R ladder network in the given figure for the following condition:
SW3 and SW4 to +12V, SW1 and SW2 to ground
Relevant Equations
V=I/R
I(x)=(Rt/Rx)*I(t)
20230418_141442.jpg

This is the figure given by the question.

Here is the redraw of above circuit.
20230418_141459.jpg

What I request to ask are:
1. Is my redraw is correct or not?
2. The Vout asked in the question is referred to the voltage after passing throgh R8?
Thank you for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lay1 said:
Homework Statement: Determine Vout for the R/2R ladder network in the given figure for the following condition:

1. Is my redraw is correct or not?
2. The Vout asked in the question is referred to the voltage after passing throgh R8?
Thank you for your answers.
1. I think it is. But I don't find it very clarifying :smile:
2. Voltage does not really 'pass'

Your working isn't very clear to me either; perhaps you can type it ?
What is the ##28.4\ k\Omega## you calculate ?
And I don't see a ##V_\text{out}## in your calculations ?

I can't distinguish the other questions in the exercise (cropped off :mad:) but for the one you picked, my approach would be to redraw with ground at the bottom and +12 V at the top. e.g.:
1681828557735.png

Then substitute the parallel resistances 1 through 5 with Req before looking at currents.

##\ ##

Likes berkeman
Hi Lay1.

I believe that your redrawing is correct, although I can't quite make out the resistor symbols. I think that R8 is the one shown here?
1681828926489.png

Not sure what you mean by "passing through R8" though.

There are several ways to redraw the circuit, here's an example that isn't far from the original. You should be able to reduce the indicated resistances to one value before proceeding:

1681829391593.png

Thus:
1681829606412.png

Likes phinds and berkeman
Hi Lay1,

Your redraw is correct.

To answer your second question, Vout is the node that is common to R7 and R8.

Some of the other commenters have noted that voltage doesn't really "pass through". I'll try and clarify things for you a bit. Voltage is always measured between two points.

For example, the voltage across R8 is: V_r8 = (12 V - Vout). If you apply Ohm's law: 12 V - Vout = I_r8*R_r8.

While voltage is always measured between two points, you will often be asked (such as in this case) about the voltage at a particular point. The convention is that is is referenced to "ground", however the same technique for finding it can apply.

Vout - Vgnd = I_req*R_req, where I_req and R_req is the current passing through and the resistance of an equivalent resistance between whichever node you are interested in and ground. I will note that by convention, Vgnd = 0.

To me, this question feels as though it is trying to test your understanding of the definition of what it means for a resistance to be in parallel or series. Gneill alluded to this, and BvU drew out the circuit in a what that exposes this a bit more clearly. I would definitely try and find that equivalent resistance and then work from there.

BvU said:
1. I think it is. But I don't find it very clarifying :smile:
2. Voltage does not really 'pass'

Your working isn't very clear to me either; perhaps you can type it ?
What is the ##28.4\ k\Omega## you calculate ?
And I don't see a ##V_\text{out}## in your calculations ?

I can't distinguish the other questions in the exercise (cropped off :mad:) but for the one you picked, my approach would be to redraw with ground at the bottom and +12 V at the top. e.g.:
View attachment 325066

Then substitute the parallel resistances 1 through 5 with Req before looking at currents.

##\ ##
Thank you for your help. Have a nice day.

gneill said:
Hi Lay1.

I believe that your redrawing is correct, although I can't quite make out the resistor symbols. I think that R8 is the one shown here?
View attachment 325067

Not sure what you mean by "passing through R8" though.

There are several ways to redraw the circuit, here's an example that isn't far from the original. You should be able to reduce the indicated resistances to one value before proceeding:

View attachment 325069

Thus:
View attachment 325070
I will note that down. Thank you for your explanation.

ace1719 said:
Hi Lay1,

Your redraw is correct.

To answer your second question, Vout is the node that is common to R7 and R8.

Some of the other commenters have noted that voltage doesn't really "pass through". I'll try and clarify things for you a bit. Voltage is always measured between two points.

For example, the voltage across R8 is: V_r8 = (12 V - Vout). If you apply Ohm's law: 12 V - Vout = I_r8*R_r8.

While voltage is always measured between two points, you will often be asked (such as in this case) about the voltage at a particular point. The convention is that is is referenced to "ground", however the same technique for finding it can apply.

Vout - Vgnd = I_req*R_req, where I_req and R_req is the current passing through and the resistance of an equivalent resistance between whichever node you are interested in and ground. I will note that by convention, Vgnd = 0.

To me, this question feels as though it is trying to test your understanding of the definition of what it means for a resistance to be in parallel or series. Gneill alluded to this, and BvU drew out the circuit in a what that exposes this a bit more clearly. I would definitely try and find that equivalent resistance and then work from there.
Thank you for your thorough explanation. I will remember your guidance.

1. What is a series-parallel circuit?

A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits. In this type of circuit, some components are connected in series while others are connected in parallel. This allows for a more complex and versatile circuit design.

2. What is an R/2R ladder network?

An R/2R ladder network is a type of digital-to-analog converter (DAC) circuit that uses a series of resistors in a specific ratio to produce a specific output voltage. It is commonly used in applications such as audio and video equipment.

3. How does a series-parallel circuit differ from a series circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a series-parallel circuit, some components are connected in series and others are connected in parallel. This allows for more complex and flexible circuit designs.

4. What is the purpose of using an R/2R ladder network in a series-parallel circuit?

The R/2R ladder network is used as a digital-to-analog converter in series-parallel circuits to convert digital signals into analog signals. This allows for more precise control and manipulation of the output voltage.

5. What are some common applications of series-parallel circuits and R/2R ladder networks?

Series-parallel circuits and R/2R ladder networks are commonly used in audio and video equipment, digital signal processing, and communication systems. They are also used in industrial control systems and measurement equipment.