Series shunt or series series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of feedback topologies in a circuit, specifically whether it is a series-shunt or series-series configuration. The consensus is that it is a series (voltage) feedback topology, which effectively reduces output resistance and increases input resistance, making the amplifier closer to an ideal voltage amplifier.
minifhncc
Series shunt or series series??

Hello,

I'm having trouble in general determining the feedback topologies...

My guess is that this is series-series since the source is in series with Rf and since setting io=0 for the output loop disables Vf... But I'm not sure... Could someone please tell me if I'm correct or not...

A good method in determining the topologies would be also appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org

I would say that, as the fed-back signal changes the current in the emitter resistor and, hence, the voltage appearing at the emitter, the feedback would be, essentially, voltage feedback. The fed-back voltage appears in series, effectively, with the signal on the base. So my term would be series voltage feedback. Its effect would be, I think, to increase the input resistance of the circuit because more volts would need to be applied to produce a given input current. (It's just a 'stronger' form of emitter follower circuit)

Someone may well disagree with me. But it's only a name, remember.

sophiecentaur said:
Someone may well disagree with me.
But not me.:smile:

It's been a long time since I've named feedback topologies like that, but I definitely agree with sophiecentaur here. One way to help distinguish between voltage feedback (aka series f/b) versus current feedback (aka shunt f/b) is by it's effect on input impedance. In the circuit given the output voltage is in phase with the input, so the voltage fed back to the 1st stage emitter is in phase with the input voltage. It therefore reduces the input stage vbe differential and so reduces the input current.

It is what I would call a "voltage sample" - "voltage feedback" topology. It reduces the output resistance and increases the input resistance, effectively making the amplifier closer to an ideal voltage amplifier (at the expense of some gain loss).

My guess is that this is series-series
You're correct about it being series (voltage) feedback but not about it being series (current) sample.

1. What is a series shunt circuit?

A series shunt circuit is an electrical circuit in which the components are connected in series, with a shunt resistor connected in parallel with the load. This type of circuit is often used in electronic devices to regulate voltage and current.

2. How does a series shunt circuit work?

In a series shunt circuit, the shunt resistor provides a path for current to flow in parallel to the load. This allows for a portion of the current to bypass the load, effectively reducing the voltage across the load. The amount of current that flows through the shunt resistor is determined by its resistance value and the voltage across it, which is controlled by the load.

3. What is the difference between series shunt and series series circuits?

The main difference between series shunt and series series circuits is the placement of the shunt resistor. In a series series circuit, the shunt resistor is placed in series with the load, while in a series shunt circuit, it is placed in parallel with the load. This difference affects how the circuits regulate voltage and current.

4. When is a series shunt circuit used?

A series shunt circuit is often used in electronic devices that require precise voltage and current regulation, such as power supplies and battery chargers. It is also commonly used in automotive applications to regulate voltage in the vehicle's electrical system.

5. What are the benefits of using a series shunt circuit?

One of the main benefits of using a series shunt circuit is its ability to regulate voltage and current with high precision. It is also a simple and reliable circuit design that can be easily implemented in various applications. Additionally, the shunt resistor can help protect the load from excessive current, making it a safer option for electronic devices.